Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue screen error

• Please log in to reply

sweeeeeeety

sweeeeeeety

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey

I got the blue screen a few days ago and cannot get onto windows at all however, because my computer is set to automatic restart I cannot read the error displayed.
I checked many posts on how to get rid of it but in all of them they all had the errors displayed, so does anybody know how to disable automaic restart but not via control panel as I cannot acces the computer in any mode, so that you can help me get rid of the BSOD completely. I do think that it was caused due to me installing a new software, but am not 100% sure.

Your help is really appreciated,

Thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello sweeeeeeety.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Try this and maybe we can see the BSOD

BSOD outside of Windows

• Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

sweeeeeeety

sweeeeeeety

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey rshaffer61

Thank you for your instructions, I did what you told me and manged to get it to stop. This was the error code I got:

*** STOP: 0x00000023 (0x000E0100,0xF7BBA888,0xF7BBA584,0x86298805)

Can you please help me resolve this.

Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was this the only information? Normally it gives you a message right under this error code.

sweeeeeeety

sweeeeeeety

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, this is the only information it gives under "Technical information" :S

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a Genuine Microsoft Xp installation disk? If so do the following.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

sweeeeeeety

sweeeeeeety

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did the chkdsk on my laptop, and it completed successfully with no errors. However, when I restart it I have the same problem. Any idea what I can do?

Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Because the technical message does not reference the exact problem it could be any number of things so we have to go step by step to figure it out.
The most common error is because of the FAT table but in XP there is no FAT table. XP uses the NTFS system.
Please do the following and let me know the results.

B. Since you have a laptop then most likely you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Dhanushka

Dhanushka

• Pip
  • 8 posts

e most common error is because of the FAT table but in XP there is no FAT table. XP uses the NTFS system.
Please do the following and let me know the results.

B. Since you have a laptop then most likely you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

What Happens After Memory test? is it Clean errors in the memory? I need more information about That...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: Dhanushka

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. T
You have stated no issue on your system and this cause of action may or may not be suitable for your issue.
Using the scans or tests suggested to diagnose a problem which has not been found to need these tests could cause other issues with your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Advertisements

sweeeeeeety

sweeeeeeety

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did the memtest, but it didnt have any errors. Do u suggest anything else?

Thank u

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

sweeeeeeety

sweeeeeeety

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
this might sound stupid, but i dont know how to check the brand of my hard drive. I got an acer travelmate 4050.

Thnx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get the file named SeaTools then. It will work with most makes of hard drives.

sweeeeeeety

sweeeeeeety

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I ran the test (advanced test) and got 1 error. I dont know what I should do next.

I really appreciate your help, thnx