Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Virtual PC 6 anyone?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I have an old DOS game that is still my favorite (the new ones are way too complicated) and I found it won't run under W7.

I installed Virtual PC; the one that specifically states it is NOT for W7. I couldn't use the right version because it requires W7 Professional and I have Home. I put W98SE on it, and my DOS game.

It seems to run fine; can it do any harm to use it? It hasn't crashed in about 2 hours of use, but if it did that would be okay; I just don't want it to do any damage. That seems unlikely, but you never know.

My question, other than wondering if it is safe, is if there is some way to toggle between Virtual PC and the rest of my system. It is inconvenient to have to close it out to check my email and then start it up again.

I guess there is a second question... I went into BIOS and turned Virtualization on because I thought I could install Virtual PC 2007. My game ran really really slow. When I turned BIOS virtualization off, it ran much faster. Why did that happen, or was it just a coincidence?

Advertisements

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I run VPC v6.0 on my Windows 7 without any problems.

And to answer your question about toggling is VPC is just another window on your host computer. You should be able to have a VPC operating system open and booted while still running other programs on the host PC. Perhaps you have the VPC window in full screen mode? If so, I think pressing ALT-ENTER will return it to window mode.

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
That worked fine, thanks much.

Do you have the hardware virtualization thing turned on or off? Do you know what that does?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
My computer doesn't support Hardware Virtualization, which is why I don't use the Virtual PC intended for Windows 7.

inapaler

inapaler

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am using vmware for this kind of thing.
anyway virtual pc is a good option.

:)