Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card?

• Please log in to reply

BACKDROPsilhouette

BACKDROPsilhouette

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
This may or may not need to be put in the games forum....
But I recently purchased a download of the Sims 3. It was successfully installed,
however when attempting to run and play, it said I did not have an adequate video/graphics card. Actually, it said I have no video card at all.
Is there a way to get a video card that supports the game (128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0; specified by game requirements)?
I have an Acer Mini-Note with no disk drive if that helps in any way.
Any help would be appreciated. :]

Advertisements

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey BACKDROP,

Hoo boy. Hate to tell you this, but it doesn't look good for your game running on that laptop. The graphics hardware, derivative of the Intel GMA 500, is not at all powerful. It's also impossible to upgrade it.

But you may attempt a chipset driver update just to see what it gains you. Check here:

Intel Driver Detection

If it works, the game will recognize your hardware and allow you to play. If it still won't recognize, chances are it simply isn't supported.

How much RAM do you have, by the way?

~os

Edited by othersteve, 22 November 2009 - 08:05 PM.

BACKDROPsilhouette

BACKDROPsilhouette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for getting back to me OS!

Hm, that really sucks that I can't get it upgraded....I'm trying to do the update as of now, but my firewall is pretty tight and isn't letting the driver update get started. No worries, though. I have a desktop, though it is rather old and I'm not sure that it has the capability to run the game, either. I suppose I'll just have to get a better laptop for me to use when I can get the money. I love my mini-note, but it doesn't let me unleash my inner gamer (I sadly can't play the PC version of Halo either T_T).

I'll still try the update, once I can get the Driver Update Utility to run.

As for RAM, I have 1GB of it.

--'Ette.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, theoretically, I believe your chip supports the necessary stuff. That doesn't mean it'll work, though. :)

As for your specs, the 1 GB RAM isn't bad. Post-driver update, if the game recognizes it as a compatible chip, you might be able to get into the Intel graphics utility and change the "Driver Footprint" to "High" to make your gaming go more smoothly. On a netbook, though, even with the proper settings, you'll need some seriously lightweight security software to go with it.

To that end, if you get it working, you might consider uninstalling everything related to security and then going back with, ESET NOD32 Antivirus (excellent detection rate and very lightweight... though ~$30/yr.) coupled with some sort of server blacklisting/inoculation tool such as SpywareBlaster.

If you do manage to get things running and you decide to go with this security software, let me know and I can help you to tweak your Advanced ESET settings to keep it out of the way in the interest of speed while still keeping you protected. :)

~os

BACKDROPsilhouette

BACKDROPsilhouette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hmmm, thanks for the advice!
I've given up getting it to work for the night....
I can only procrastinate on Government homework for so long before it becomes necessary to finish immediately xD I've made it a habit of just reading around on this site just to learn something new.

On the ESET Antivirus program; it looks good. I'm definitely going to bookmark the page to go back and look into at a later point in time (i.e. when I get a job and can pay for it xD). I actually have SpywareBlaster installed on my computer right now. And Avira, because it's free! And free means I don't have to pay for it and can relish in my joblessness. I will definitely get back to you when I have the program installed!

--'Ette.

othersteve

othersteve

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hey BACKDROP,

Sounds good. If you're looking for free and lightweight for a netbook, you might be better served actually with Microsoft Security Essentials in the meantime, which seems to be putting up pretty impressive numbers in terms of detection/removal and is quite easy on the resources.

Anyway, good luck on that homework!

~os