Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns on but does not boot up.

• Please log in to reply

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys, I just upgraded my PSU today from a Thermaltake 430W PSU to a Corsair 850W HX Modular PSU. It's all fine and dandy, the only problem is, is that my computer isn't working properly.

The computer turns on, the fans are spinning and the case lights are lighting up as they should be. However, there is no signal from the monitor, mouse or keyboard. The computer does not boot up at all, it just turns on and that is it.

I have checked that all the cables are plugged in properly, I have tried releasing the stored electricity by switching the PSU off, turning the PC on so it runs briefly for about half a second, and turning the PSU back on and turning the computer back on. To no avail, that does not work. I have also tried unplugging the power cord into the PSU, that does not work either.

Although, I have noticed, is that when I try to hold the computer down for the 5 seconds for a safe shutdown, that doesn't work. When I first installed the PSU, the PC could shut off from the 5 second shutdown sequence, but now it just doesn't do it anymore. I also had a half glance at the keyboard with the lights lighting up, it did it briefly and now there is no signal from my monitor, mouse and keyboard. I cannot get into BIOS or anything, no splash screen or anything comes up, no lights from the mouse and keyboard either. But my Thermaltake Mousepad lights up when the PSU is switched on from the back.

I have also tried unplugging my secondary hard drive and trying to boot with just my main hard drive, that also didn't work.

This is extremely odd, can anybody help me out at all? I seriously need to use my computer for work, and I am a fairly avid gamer, I get seriously bored easily...

My Computer's Specifications
Thermaltake Kandalf Full Tower Case
ASUS P5Q Motherboard
4GB of DDR2 1066MHz Corsair RAM (2x2GB sticks)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Galaxy GeForce 8600 1GB GT
Zalman 8700NT CPU Cooler
1x 500GB Western Digital SATA Cavier Green Hard Drive (primary)
1x 250GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive (secondary)
850W Corsair HX Modular Power Supply (just upgraded from a 430W Thermaltake PSU)
Viewsonic 24" VX Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64x

Edited by ImranQ, 23 November 2009 - 07:52 AM.

Advertisements

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Please help... someone...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Have patience bud. Bumping a thread after an hour won't get a response any faster.

It's all fine and dandy, the only problem is, is that my computer isn't working properly.

That does not sound fine and dandy to me. Did it work fine on the old PSU?

Although Corsair PSUs are currently one of my preferred brands (I have a TX750 in this machine) I have had one new one that was bad out of the box.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Did it work fine on the old PSU?

That would be my 1st question also.

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Never mind guys, it's all fixed now. The problem was, was that there was an 8 pin power connector to the motherboard that wasn't plugged in, as my old PSU had another 4 pin connector, the platelet covering the socket was covering the rest of the pins, so I had assumed there was nothing else that was to be plugged in.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That would have been my next question if you had said the old PSU worked.

Thanks for posting the followup.

StephenLee

StephenLee

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I think you should try these three methods.

http://ezinearticles...t...&id=3087747

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Hi, I think you should try these three methods.

http://ezinearticles...t...&id=3087747

Why ? When the OP fixed it.

minionarcane

minionarcane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually 123runner, StephenLee do have a nice simple reason to keep posting other solutions. It is still important to keep sending alt solution replies especially for ppl like me. Imran knew his prob with his system but my system isn't like his and therefore it doesn't mean that it can solve other ppl's similar probs. It gives choices for trial and errors until one gets the right solution. :)
Why is it important for me? Reason is, i have 3 out of 29 PCs ( all 3 are of different sys specs) with the same problem occuring at random time periods at different dates but not too distant in between. Those 3 units had not had their configuration modified often or regularly before the prob took place. Why it happened i don't know. Therefore, would you believe that Imran's solution is the same as mine? AHAA! :)

Edited by minionarcane, 05 January 2010 - 09:46 PM.

minionarcane

minionarcane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
However, after reading through the article linked by StephenLee, i don't think that solves it right for me either. Why? Coz my systems aren't all with XP. 1 with XP and 2 others with Win98. Therefore, the system restore don't apply for Win98. Whatever happened wasn't software related to my guess. It's either hardware, bios or temperature on motherboard that's hurting it. Strange for this incident but probably true and worth checking out. (Who the heck am i talking to now?? I gotta do this by myself then!! Ohhhh man... :) )