Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how do i wipe my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

matticus martinicus

matticus martinicus

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My inspiron laptop is giving me the blue screen so i want to wipe it, but it won't read cd's. I've tried putting it on a zip drive but it keeps saying the data is damaged or invalid. Please help :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Inspiron is a general make so we need to know what model number it is.
Most laptops now have a recovery partition on it and you can use it to completely return the system back to factory settings.

matticus martinicus

matticus martinicus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
its an inspiron E1505

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found the following instructions for getting to the recovery partition

shut down the system. Then start it up. Right after pushing the power button to start it, hold down the CTRL and keep tapping the F11 key(for XP). If you have Vista just tap on F8(no need to hold down CTRL). A symantec recovery application(PC Restore) window will start up. just follow the instructions on the window.

To access the same recovery within windows.Type c:\dell\utilities\dsr\ and run Boot_DSR.exe. Then click YES and the system will reboot into the PC Restore without having to press any keys.

But if your HDD has already been reformatted and the recovery partition for has been deleted, your only option is to reinstall windows from a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc.

matticus martinicus

matticus martinicus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks a lot :)
It worked

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great everything working ok now?