Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen black (even in safe mode) Needs drive update?

• Please log in to reply

coolmom365

coolmom365

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My screen is black even in safemode. Srceen is working properly, since it will let me choose to bood in safe mode, but once its loaded its just black with a cursor. (I am typing this on another computer. Also, after while screen safer will come on, so I know there is nothing wrong with the monitor) Problems started yesterday when the computer kept shutting itself down. At one point it displayed a blue screen to brief to read all, but it said something about an NVIDIA display driver needing to be updated. Would love to do that, but can't, since my screen is blank. How do I get to where I can at least download and install a new driver, if I can't see what I'm doing?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi coolmom365 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I need to know if this is a laptop or a desk top?

Safe mode loads default video drivers and will not be looking for the nvidia driver.
With what you are stating, I am suspecting a bad monitor/screen.

If a laptop, can you hook an external monitor to it?
If a desktop, have you tried another monitor?

123runner