Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Asus M4A78T-E

• Please log in to reply

george01

george01

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Am proposing Asus M4a78T-E motherboard and AMD PhenomII Quad core HDZ965 FBGibox processor (AMD 965). However, after using AMD's website and it's compat checks it is saying that I would need Version C3 of the processor. The one I am going to buy may be Version C2 (suspect), but cannot be sure as Amazon's tech details do not give enough information. Would I run into problems if I had the wrong version? Or has anyone come across an issue like this before.

Thanks in anticipation

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

As I've seen on ASUS Official site this motherboard support AMD Phenom II 965 it doesn't matter if you buy C3 or C2 revision it will work.Only thing is that you might have to update your BIOS for C3 revision and as I see C3 is better since it's newer revision of CPU and it has 125W insted of C2 140W which means it will use less power and less heating.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Strange, I went on the AMD website and it said it only supported Revision C3. However, AMD have come back to me and said that is possibly because they did not have the board to check it when V2 was out. Regarding updating BIOS. My concern is centred on several forums where people have said when they installed board and CPU, booted up they had nothing on the screen at all, therefore how can you possibly update the BIOS if there is no screen menu?

Thanks - George

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Well, since you think it might have issues why not take some other board I can recommend something if you want.Speaking of BIOS the board should boot up it wouldn't recognize the cpu as II 965 and you would update the BIOS but if this board has issues with this cpu than better chose some other board!

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Trouble is, I already have the board! It was a case of going for a CPU. First thoughts were the AMD955 but the 965 is slightly faster and I intended opting for that. If push comes to shove I can always put a 955 in as I know it has no conflictions with the board.

thanks - George

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I see! Well will you be overclocking? Because 200MHz difference isn't much 955 runs at 3.2GHz and with just a little overclock you are at 3.4Ghz speed just as 965GHz beside they are both Black Editon with unlock mulitplier.

george01

george01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Thanks, to make life easy I think I will go with the AMD955 (play safe). Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

George