Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About blank gone! but no wallpaper/background[RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
This is for XP

1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Open Display Properties.
3. Click the Desktop tab.
4. Click the Customize Desktop button.
5. Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.

If you wish to enable the Active Desktop, check "My Current Home Page". Add your current home page into your desktop or click New to add another web page and/or other Active Desktop features. To update the content, click the Synchronize button.

If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked.

Advertisements

munchkinman

munchkinman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Again sorry i am on ME, hehe :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Third time's a charm. Sorry. :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Are you running ME? :tazz:

Try the following:

RIGHT-CLICK HERE and Save As (in IE it's "Save Target As") to download this reg file to your desktop.  Double-click desktoptab.reg on your desktop and click YES when asked if you want to merge with the registry.  Wait for the merged successfully prompt.

munchkinman

munchkinman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
:tazz:
ok tried that and it says
CANNOT IMPORT C://WINDOWS/DESKTOP/DESK10~1.REG THE SPECIFIED FILE IS NOT A REGISTRY SCRIPT. YOU CAN IMPORT ONLY REGISTRY FILES.
Sorry again to inconvience you. As long as the hijacker gone. its just a little annoying i cannot have any wallpaper. Again thank you for your help and anytime you want to stop just say so. i can live with out a wallpaper. Plus i might be thinking about getting a Notebook when i am back in the states.
;)

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
This is what bananafanafo suggested. She's pretty smart. :tazz:

Open Notepad, and copy everything in the code box below and paste it into a new notepad file. Change the "Save As Type" to "All Files". Save it as fixme.reg on your Desktop. Make sure there is NO blank line above "REGEDIT4"!

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoActiveDesktopChanges"=hex:00,00,00,00
"NoActiveDesktop"=dword:00000000
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
"ClassicShell"=dword:00000000
"NoThemesTab"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"NoDispAppearancePage"=dword:00000000
"NoColorChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoSizeChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispCPL"=dword:00000000
"NoVisualStyleChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoDispSettingsPage"=dword:00000000
"NoDispScrSavPage"=dword:00000000
"NoVisualStyleChoice"=dword:00000000
"NoSizeChoice"=dword:00000000
"SetVisualStyle"=-

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallPaper"=dword:00000000

Locate fixme.reg on your Desktop and double-click on it. When it asks if you want to merge with the registry, click YES.

Reboot your computer.

munchkinman

munchkinman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello, Sorry its been a few days.
Ok 1st thing, yes bananafanafo is very smart and make sure you thank her for me :tazz:
i now have all the Tabs when i right click on propities, however on background it will not let me pick a back ground and i cannot change anything on that Background TAB, except for picture display.
Agagin i cannot thank you enough.
;)

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Bananafanafo said to do this and you should be good to go.

1. Right-click on the Desktop
2. Go to "Properties"
3. Select "Desktop" tab
4. Click on the "Customize Desktop" button
5. Select "Web" tab
6. Uncheck or delete whatever seems to be suspicious in the WEBPAGE box
7. You should now be able to set your desktop to desired background.

After that, tell me how it's working and give me a new log. :tazz:

munchkinman

munchkinman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
When i click on the WEB tab i deleted 2 suspicious boxes and then tried to delete the 3rd box called MY current home page. when i check this box it does not allow me the option to delet it. when i goto properties it says WEB DOCUMENT ABOUT:HOME, URL:About home.
and it still will not let me change my background.

here is my new Log

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:29:39, on 29/05/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SYMTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON UTILITIES\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\IWP\NPFMNTOR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINJECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PQSC\PROGRAM\SCTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STARTER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\CSINSM32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON SYSTEMWORKS\NORTON CLEANSWEEP\Monwow.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\SNDSRVC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SLLIGHTS.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\HIJACKTHIS[1]\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Fast4
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SecondChance] C:\PQSC\PROGRAM\SCTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMON.EXE /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\Nprotect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe "Norton SystemWorks"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPROTECT] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\Nprotect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NPFMonitor] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [CSINJECT.EXE] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinject.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Norton SystemWorks] "C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\cfgwiz.exe" /GUID {05858CFD-5CC4-4ceb-AAAF-CF00BF39736A} /MODE CfgWiz
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsm32.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.fast4.net/
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hotmail.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hsbc.co.uk
O16 - DPF: {EC5A4E7B-02EB-451D-B310-D5F2E0A4D8C3} (webhelper Class) - http://register.btin...bcontrol023.cab
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zon...nt.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zon...kr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {6BEA1C48-1850-486C-8F58-C7354BA3165E} (Install Class) - http://updates.lifes...ll/pinstall.cab

Thanks again. and sorry to keep bothering you :tazz:

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Another suggestion from B.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Web

Inside the web folder, look to see if there is a file called about.html, if there is delete it. If not, look for any other suspicious html file inside the web folder and delete it.

Then right-click on the desktop and go back into the Web tab and make sure nothing is checked. Do NOT put a check next to "My Current Homepage" otherwise you won't be able to change the background.

Advertisements

munchkinman

munchkinman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,
Ok tried what B suggested. No file Called about:blank or any other suspicious file so unfortunatly still no joy with the Background.
Thanks for your patience.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I just have a few questions for you. Since I have no clue what it is you deleted out of the registry I can not guarantee full recovery of your desktop.

Please go into this folder:

C:\Windows

Look to see if there is a file called desktop.html or about.html (NOT the Web folder you previously looked in, this time I need you to look in the Windows folder)

In your desktop properties, make sure there is NO check next to "My Current Homepage" because I noticed earlier you said you checked this. If this is checked it won't let you change your background.

Then please go into this folder again:

C:\WINDOWS\Web

Tell me all htm or html files in this folder.

Edited by bananafanafo, 02 June 2005 - 12:59 AM.

munchkinman

munchkinman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello bananafanafo,
Thank you for your help.
OK did what you asked and did not find any file in windows for desktop.html or about.html. i did go to search for files and folders and typed both in. There was a file called about:html. i dont know if this makes any difference as its in a folder called c:/programe files\mgi photosuite lll se\temppslll\common does this make any difference?????????????
There is also NO check in the MY CURRENT HOMEPAGE. however i still have a check in the option SHOW WEB CONTENT OM MY ACTIVE DESKTOP.
In the C:\WINDOWS\Web folder there are 2 html files TIP.HTM and WUM.HTM.
hope this helps.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Please remove the check from "show web content on my activedesktop", then try changing it.

munchkinman

munchkinman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok tried that, still no joy :tazz: