Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application Failed to Launch Correctly - Photoshop Elements

• Please log in to reply

cheapiejack

cheapiejack

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
In short, I'm running Photoshop Elements 3.0 (yes I know it's a little old, but it's been working until now...) on an XP SP3 machine that meets the sys requirements.

It has worked without any problem for several years, until this month. I launch the program and get to where you can select which portion of Elements to use (Product overview, View & Organize Photos... Start From Scratch). If I choose something that just uses thumbnails without requiring photo editing, it will load fine. However, when I select anything that requires editing the program will begin to boot and go through the loading process. It will complete everything and get to "Reading Text Global Resources...Done" and then freeze. After a minute, I get a windows window that says "The Application Failed to Launch Correctly".

Fine.

So I reinstalled the program several times in different locations and it always fails. Now listen to this- I try running it in safe mode and IT RUNS FINE. The only problem is that I can't actually work in safe mode because I can't open image files! So I know I can run it, but I'm not sure what I have running in work mode that has screwed it up.

Housekeeping: XP is updated, AVG, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster all updated.

Where do I go from here? I've tried running in work mode disconnected from the internet without AVG, SB, SG to no avail.

My questions: 1) what is it about safe mode that is protecting Elements that is unprotected in work mode?

Hopefully someone has some bright ideas, 'cause I'm out of them. :)

Thanks in advance! Feel free to ask questions. :)

- LJ

Edited by cheapiejack, 23 November 2009 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements