Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autoplay issue with Iphone

• Please log in to reply

mccallum79

mccallum79

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey there...I have always just plugged in my iphone, which has automatically been detected by the computer. Itunes will pop up and start to sync and an autoplay window will pop up asking if I want to download my pics...but recently, the autoplay window has stopped popping up, so I can't download my pics. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, but that didn't work, though every time I plug the phone in the computer says it's installing a new driver. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello mccallum79 and welcome to geeks to go

To turn autoplay on and off try doing the following:

1.)Open AutoPlay by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware and Sound, and then clicking AutoPlay.
2.)To turn AutoPlay on, select the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices check box.
Click Save.

If this does not work. Please specify your Operating System. You have not mentioned it above.

- Sometimes Needs Help

mccallum79

mccallum79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey there, thank you so much for the help. Autoplay is active and the box next to my iphone icon is set to "ask me every time", but the autoplay dialog box still won't come up. I'm using vista...

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok, try this and see if the dialog box will open. When plugging in your iPhone, hold down the Shift key. Post your results.

Next, try this:
1. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then right-click Command Prompt.
2. Click Run as administrator.
3. At the UAC windows please press continue.
4. At the command prompt, type net start shellhwdetection, and then press ENTER.
5. Restart your computer.
6. After reboot try plugging in your iPhone again. Without the Shift key.

Let me know what happens :)
-Sometimes Needs Help

mccallum79

mccallum79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
nothing happened when I held down the shift key...

when I did the command prompt it said, "shellhwdetection is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
1.) Try going to Computer and looking for your iPhone when it is plugged in. If there is not a drive letter, there can't be an autorun.

2.) Make sure there is pictures on your iPhone. Windows will not detect anything unless there are pictures for it to find.

Let me know what happens.

- Sometimes Needs Help

mccallum79

mccallum79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
hey, thanks for all of the continued help...

there are pics on the phone...

My phone shows up in autoplay when it is plugged in, but it doesn't show up under "My Computer" like a digital camera or memory stick usually does...I think it used to show up there, though I might be wrong...

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Yes, AutoPlay opens when a drive is inserted. If there is no drive opening, no AutoPlay will be shown.

1.) Plug your iPhone in.
2.) Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Device Manager.
3.) Find your iPhone on the list, if iTunes is finding it, it has to be somewhere. Most likely in Disk Drives.
4.) Once you have found your iPhone, right-click and choose Uninstall
5.) Press "Ok" and let in install
6.) Unplug and plug it back in.

Let me know the results. :)

-Sometimes Needs Help

mccallum79

mccallum79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
It's fixed! It was the driver as you suspected. I had tried reinstalling the driver a few times before and it didn't work...I noticed this time, though, that there is a box that you have to check in vista in order to actually delete the driver, not just uninstall it. Oh, vista...thank you so much for all of your help, I really, really appreciate it...

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
No Problem, It always is good to know something is resolved. :)

-Sometimes Needs Help

Advertisements

lovebird

lovebird

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Yes, AutoPlay opens when a drive is inserted. If there is no drive opening, no AutoPlay will be shown.

1.) Plug your iPhone in.
3.) Find your iPhone on the list, if iTunes is finding it, it has to be somewhere. Most likely in Disk Drives.

-Sometimes Needs Help

man thanks alot...i was having same problem it happn when i install one theme from cydia and it was having a bug so after installing it i never get that autoplay popup but i can sycn in itunes...than now i gone thru this site and ur valuable post...i resoved my iphone issue....thanks once again ..i actually register to this site to thanks to u dude...

c07byg

c07byg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

1.) Plug your iPhone in.

-Sometimes Needs Help

i followed these steps, however, my iphone was not under disk drivers. it was under portable devices as "Apple mobile USB something", i deleted this. then pluged my iphone back in and it said it was installing device driver software. now it comes up as "digital still camera", and installs the driver then tells me its finished but after about 10 seconds it starts downloading it again and again??? please helppppp

and now itunes does not recognize my iphone at all

Edited by c07byg, 04 June 2010 - 09:30 AM.

Chris McGee

Chris McGee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I hate to re-ignite such an old post, but this problem is now plaguing me. I need to be able to have my iPhone 4 recognized as an Autoplay device for Dropbox's promotion. However, although it shows up in Windows Explorer just fine and I can access all of my photos and videos from that, Autoplay will not show up.

I've check the Control Panel/Autoplay area and I don't even see the iPhone listed under "Devices" at the bottom of the dialog. What can I do to get Autoplay to recognize my iPhone so I can use the new Dropbox beta to upload photos & videos from it?

pheb62

pheb62

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I got a similar problem, although a little different.

In my Windows 7, Control Panel, Autoplay, there is TWO entries at the bottom - "Peter's iPhone" and "Apple iPhone".
The device "Apple iPhone" HAS Dropbox as an option - but what becomes active is the other, "Peter's iPhone".
And this one only has "take no action" and "ask every time".

Uninstalling (including deletion of) the iPhone driver didn't get me any farther.

Plase drop me a note when you should get this problem resolved.

Thanks in advance.
Peter

jubrand

jubrand

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same problem as Chris. Only having this issue on one of my computers, the other 2 work fine. Should the iphone have a drive letter assigned to it when you see it in explorer? Mine doesn't.