Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st Start Up App Launch Slow Downs On XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

sere83

sere83

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi,

I am running a Pentium 4 3ghz Dell Dimension Desktop with 3GB DDR Ram and a 250gb HDD with 113Gb free space on XP HOME SP3. Recently I upgraded my 1gb of ram to 3gb of ram. When I right click on my computer the ram shows up and appears to work correctly.

Anyway....my problem is that on start up it takes a [bleep] long time for me to start using programs. For example if I start the computer up, wait for the desktop to load then open firefox, it will take a good couple of minutes for the firefox tabs to start responding properly and not lag and for me to be able to start browsing. Also if I load a program like Photoshop CS3 or Illustrator then they also take a long time to load. I presumed that after adding more ram that i would see a speed increase but I think it may have even got worse.

Even if I leave the startup for a long while then come back, it still takes longer than usual to load firefox.

I have no programs in my start up apart from rocket dock and kaspersky internet security, and maybe msn (which keeps going back into my start up after I open it, any way I can disable that?)

Anyway...any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Sere83

Edited by sere83, 23 November 2009 - 08:30 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello sere83.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I have no programs in my start up apart from rocket dock and kaspersky internet security, and maybe msn (which keeps going back into my start up after I open it, any way I can disable that?)

Are you talking about the startup folder?

Try this
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Then do this while I look at the autoruns log.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

sere83

sere83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi there,

Thanks for your swift response. Please find attached autoruns.txt. I ran msconfig and did some tests. I had hardly anything in there to start off though.

When I ran it with nothing in start up there appeared to be a slight speed up, I think it is because of kaspersky internet security, which was set to run a scan on start up and is also very resourece heavy. I have been having issues with firefox 3.5 too which is always the first thing I open and slow on start up. >>>>>

http://www.geekstogo...-5-t259441.html

It appears to be a little bit better now, not sure if I am expecting too much, I suppose it is only a P4. See what u rekon about the autorun txt.

maany thnks

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "msnmsgr" "Windows Live Messenger"
+ "RocketDock" ""

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

sere83

sere83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Apologies it has taken me so long to reply to this thread. I have followed the steps and definitely seen an improvement although not as big as I would have hoped. The defrag and tfc tool has made a difference for sure though. I think Kaspersky is playing a big part in the slow down aswell, it is very resource heavy and takes time to load on start up.

I think also I may be expecting a bit to much as I suppose that it is only a pentium 4, just thought with a recent 3gb of ram upgrade on Xp I could expect a slightly more rapid first program start up. I am having major problems with firefox too, which is usually the program I start first but have not recieved a reply yet to the other thread I posted.

Many thanks for all your help. If you or anyone else can help with that firfox problem too I would again be hugely grateful. Here is the thread >>>

http://www.geekstogo...-5-t259441.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since Kapersky seems to be a problem why not uninstall it and use one of the free smaller footprint AV's like Avast or Avira?