Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help reinstall windows reformat hard drive

• Please log in to reply

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
He has another pc but it's a dell. We're guessing they're incompatible with each other. If that is the case which I'm pretty sure it will be, what else could he do?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Ask him to create bootable CD like this and see, if it'll boot:

Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
He can't access the internet not an option.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You said, he has another computer, Dell?

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yeah that also has viruses on it and no it's not an option to wipe the hard drive on that. He will be coming to the forums for information on how to save his other pc and then I will be sending him the programs when you walk him through the process of how to save that one. He can't access the net via the other pc and he can only work in safe mode with it.

See what had happened was, I told him to come to the forums and get his firewall and his anti virus for the the pc that is having trouble that this topic is made about. Apparently, he had another AV program on his pc and all he did was click uninstall. Well most likely AVAST and the other AV butted heads but even more than that he had to of picked up something.

See what I think is happening to him. He lives in a network *like a college campus would do* and his pc must go through that network. I'm guessing there's a nasty bug in the network and it's getting into his machines. Or he just visited a site and picked up a nasty little trojan before.

Either way this pc is the one he needs to reformat. I can't visually see what's going on or how to trouble shoot through a phone I'm more of a hands on problem solver. This is something that is above my head. He's pretty smart with a pc himself but because the cd isn't doing a boot screen we're dumbfounded. It should go to a boot screen it just doesn't do it.

Apparently chkdsk is deleting windows stuff as well. Then again I can't see what it's doing I can only go off of what he tells me.

Edited by squonk, 25 November 2009 - 12:02 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd say, he fixes his other computer first, so he has more options to work on THIS computer.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
That will take *weeks* or longer if we go that route.

See if we do it that way this is what would happen.

I'd have to give him a blank cd, I'd have to do a log thing and then make another cd or so with the av programs and the firewall etc.

Then I'd have to send him his, then he'd have to send it back to me. Then I could post his log, and then you would give me further instructions, I'd probably have to have him get another cd for the next program and then I'd send another blank with the next log. He then would have to send the next log back to me so that I could post it and then you would give the final instructions. He wouldn't have a clean pc till after christmas.

There has to be another way.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I really don't know, what to tell you.
Fixing computers on-line is difficult enough, going through 3rd person makes things close to impossible.

squonk

squonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So out of ideas on how to get the cd recovery to read it prior to windows starting?

Anyone else out there have any suggestions?