Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating to Win7 Building small Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

MatCon5

MatCon5

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hey guys, I'm building a new PC for gaming mostly, I live in Canada and have around $1000 give or take a little to do so.
Here's what I gathered so far from http://www.directcanada.com which is Canadian and free shipping for me.

OS- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition 64BIT Dvd Oem
Case- Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 Atx 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No Ps Front Usb & Audio
PSU- Bfg GS-550 550W Power Supply Atx V2.2 EPS12V Active Pfc 20/24PIN 6PIN & 8PIN PCI-E 140MM Fan
Mainboard- Asus P7P55D Le LGA1156 P55 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI Crossfire Gblan 6SATA Ide Motherboard
CPU- Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA1156 2.66GHZ 8MB Cache Retail Box
RAM- Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 9-9-9-24 Core I5 Dual Channel Memory Kit
GPU- BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE55 590MHZ 896MB 1.998GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I Video Card

That's what I have so far, and I still need a heatsink for the CPU and maybe a HDD.
My old PC has 3 Western Digital Sata drives I can use so the HDD isn't necessary.

Looking for some help mostly, or criticism, or any heads up concerning these parts etc.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

How much does all this cost? Since you have around $1000 I might recommend you something!

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
All of that stuff is...

Sub Total: $944.02

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Okay that's close to $1000 so only thing I would recommend to you is this power supply Corsair VX550 it's around 30$ more but it's very good powerful, quiet and works great! Everything else is good.Only thing maybe new ATI 5770 card is little behind with performance against Nvidia 260 but it has next generation of DX11 and soon new games are coming out with DX11 support so it's more future prospective.

MatCon5

MatCon5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
So you wouldn't recommend that BFG power supply? That's one area I've never been to smart about is the PSUs..
Also does anyone know if Scythe brand heatsinks are decent? Those are all I can find on directcanada and are not too pricey.

I do not plan to overclock at all, so I don't think I need any more juice than to run the components together.

Cheers

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I'm not saying BFG is bad it will work on your comp but if You are able, buy Corsair V550 is much better choice.About Scythe I know that they are very quiet with case cooling and do a great job but don't know about cpu cooling.