Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsing problems...

• Please log in to reply

Seed

Seed

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've just upgraded my OS from win98 to Windows XP prof (after my XP home edition got hit by winSock.cfg)...

after installing my drivers I was faced with a rather not so alarming but very disturbing problems...

1. I am currently using trend micro... my problem is that I can't put up my firewall... i am sensing that it is due to the fact it thinks I am using direct internet connection... I am not sure how to change the setting to lan connection though...

2. While I am browsing the net, my screen for some reason appears to have a wave passing trough it when i scroll up or down... I can't say that it is due to lag because I can easily connect to the sites which is very much faster before i reformated my pc...

Maybe you'll just think of me as being a noob but it would really be helpful for me if you can answer these questions of mine...

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
For the wave, check your refresh rate on the monitor, to do that:
control panel, display, settings, and select the advanced tab. look around for a monitor tab and select it. pick the highest refresh rate possible. If that doesnt fix it, you might have a failing video card or maybe even your monitor.

Now disable your dial up connection, do this:
right click "my computer" select properties
select hardware and then device manager
little window pops up, look around for a modem and open the plus sign
right click the modem and select disable. this will disable your modem, without uninstalling that sucker.
Im assuming your using DSL, so you are trying get rid of a conflict with the dial up.

Hope that helps