Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard drive not found

• Please log in to reply

tuxedobob

tuxedobob

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
About a week ago we had a power surge that killed the "power" part of my external hard drive, the computer survived. I took my hard drive, an IDE type, to Best Buy and they ascertained that I needed to replace the hard drive enclosure and that my data was OK.

I put the drive into the new enclosure and attached it to my computer. I got the "dong ding" and a note in the system tray that my drive was found. However, I cannot actually find it anywhere. I have gone into device manager & windows explorer and its not there.

I'm stumped. Any help you can give will be really, really appreciated as all my music and pics are on it and my wife will kill me using the the traditional Thanksgiving Carving knife.

The hard drive is a western digital IDE desktop external drive. My computer runs Windows XP, service pack 3. Its a compaq desktop with 1gb of Ram

Many thanks

Bob

Edited by tuxedobob, 23 November 2009 - 10:04 PM.

Advertisements