Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low disk space in C:\

• Please log in to reply

selva

selva

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

Guys I use Windows Xp SP3 and my C drive shows "Low disk space message often"....................

It gets cleared to 106 mb(which i think is apt for my drive) for a while if restarted or cleaned using Cccleaner...............But after some time comes up again with low disk space of only 50 mb or so............

I have posted the screen shot scanned with WinDirStat here.................

http://tinypic.com/r/246rjbs/6

Its really annoying pls help me out...................

Edited by selva, 24 November 2009 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi, have you tried TFC yet ?

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

>> http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html

Also, I suggest searching your C: drive for maps from previous installations.
Example: you used to have Skype, but you uninstalled already. Still it is possible a map remains on your C: drive.
(Note: if you see maps that you don't know what they are, don't delete them or post back here)

And, check your control panel > add/remove programs. IF you see programs you ain't using anymore.. you may as well uninstall them :)

Hope that helps.

Edited by bartblaze, 24 November 2009 - 02:45 AM.

Dhanushka

Dhanushka

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I thing when you are browsing internet temp files grown. use process explorer check what are the processors running and Clear Temp Folder using TFC.exe

Sometimes spyware try to make connections. Close all programs and type netstat in Command prompt and see whether any connections establish with remote host,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Selva.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)
Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to
1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Please include results in your next reply

selva

selva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Hi, have you tried TFC yet ?

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB). Before running it will stop Explorer and all other running apps. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

>> http://www.geekstogo...er-file187.html

Also, I suggest searching your C: drive for maps from previous installations.
Example: you used to have Skype, but you uninstalled already. Still it is possible a map remains on your C: drive.
(Note: if you see maps that you don't know what they are, don't delete them or post back here)

And, check your control panel > add/remove programs. IF you see programs you ain't using anymore.. you may as well uninstall them :)

Hope that helps.

Hi,

thanks for the reply.............But i use revo uninstaller for uninstalling programs so i shd not get any left out files rht...............Sorry if am wrong

Edited by selva, 24 November 2009 - 11:36 AM.

selva

selva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Here is the screen shot of my C:\ drive......................

http://tinypic.com/r/308i5ch/6

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uh I will be honest with you. I have no ideal how your system is still booting at this point.
Your system according to your pic has less then 1% of the drive free.
You really need to clean out unused programs first. Second you need to do the following in order. Third revo uninstaller gets rid of programs by uninstalling. It does not clear you temp files or defrag your system which is where part of the problem is.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi,

yes you are completely right there :) .

Have you used TFC yet ? Please download and execute it. It might ask for a reboot and if so, please do.

I agree with rshaffer61, please post the result that he asks .

edit: looks like I was a minute too late :)

TFC should hopefully do the trick, otherwise you can try defragmentation (see rshaffer61's post).

Edited by bartblaze, 24 November 2009 - 11:51 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At 10% normally the MBR will start to corrupt causing the system to fail to boot. At less then 1% your system really should be doing a nose dive into the ground. You really need to clean of at least (and I mean at least) a gig of data off your hd. Running TFC alone may do this with the amount of Temp files that is sure to be on your system

selva

selva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
This was the result TFC gave................

Getting user folders.

Stopping running processes.

Emptying Temp folders.

User: Administrator
->Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 67 bytes

User: All Users

User: Default User

User: LocalService

User: NetworkService

User: selva kumar
->Temp folder emptied: 701992 bytes
->Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 5276161 bytes
->Java cache emptied: 0 bytes
->FireFox cache emptied: 73124080 bytes

%systemdrive% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot% .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\System32 .tmp files removed: 0 bytes
Windows Temp folder emptied: 270848 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temp folder emptied: 0 bytes
%systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files folder emptied: 67 bytes

Emptying RecycleBin. Do not interrupt.

RecycleBin emptied: 0 bytes
Process complete!

Total Files Cleaned = 75.70 mb

Advertisements

selva

selva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I have uploaded the Auslogics log file..................

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it looks like you have some hard choices to make.
You need to uninstall unused or un needed programs.
Backup some data files you don't need
Get a larger hd and move some data over to it.

selva

selva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thank u for your time.............

But i really cant understand this after i clean up using any clean up software i get about 160mb free...................

Then after using firefox or anything i drop down to 63-80 mb.................hows this possible..................

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Temp files
Cache files
You need a larger drive or a second hard drive.
You are going to crash I can almost guarantee it. :)

selva

selva

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Guys i found the problem...................

there is this file abt 455mb in C:\ drive..............In order to make space i removed it from C:\ to F:\ few days back but it had some memory issues.........

Like the file being 455mb after i transfered to F:\ hardly took 300 mb or so in F:\ drive and emptied only abt 200mb or so in C:\ drive............

So i put it back in C:\ itself only from then such problems are occurring..........

Yesterday i did the same and after transferring from C: to F: the C: drive still has only 455mb left and in F: it has just occupied 300mb not more...........

But when i right click and see for its properties it shows the size as 455mb..............Am totally confused now :)

Edited by selva, 24 November 2009 - 07:32 PM.