Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LINUX HELP

• Please log in to reply

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
I think you should try in VM first. Whether you 'screw up' or not, it'll still be virtual, so no real damage to your machine will be done.

I find creating a new VM easier then dual booting, but then again, I did that much more then making dual boots.
That one's actually up to you.

I also heard OpenBSD is interesting (unix based) You might want to give that one a try first.
>> http://www.openbsd.org/

Another link that might be useful:
>> http://linuxreviews.org/beginner/

good luck :)

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
These days I prefer Virtual Machines for testing and systems like Windows. It's faster then rebooting and with enough RAM you can run several systems at the same time. Cool Stuff. I still multi-boot most of my systems but VM is good stuff. The latest versions of Virtual Box can even do some 3D acceleration. Another consideration is that Vista doesn't like Grub. Some Vista updates modify the boot section of vista and refuse to install with Grub installed.

i0vvny0u

i0vvny0u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
oh ok! thank you guys for the help...makes me happy someone is there to lend a helping hand..but anyway..im thinking of just duel botting linux with my windows vista...i must learn command line if i want to become better with the folders and other types of things for the computer...so to begin my duel boot..what would i do? do i need to back up files? or is there something i need to buy like the live cd? im sorry for all the questions and the hard time..its just that im sooo noob that i dont know how to do these things..will i need to back up my files then redo my windows vista, partition it right..then i can set up the linux on my second partition for the duel boot? anothert thing! will i need to buy anything to get my linux duel booted? sorry for the trouble guys...but thank you so much for taking out time to help me out

i0vvny0u

i0vvny0u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

These days I prefer Virtual Machines for testing and systems like Windows. It's faster then rebooting and with enough RAM you can run several systems at the same time. Cool Stuff. I still multi-boot most of my systems but VM is good stuff. The latest versions of Virtual Box can even do some 3D acceleration. Another consideration is that Vista doesn't like Grub. Some Vista updates modify the boot section of vista and refuse to install with Grub installed.

whats a grub? sorry still noob =/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Grand Unified Bootloader
Fancy name for when you boot up your system you are asked which OS you would like to boot to. I have 3 OS's so when I start my system I get a Grub with XP, Win7 and Mandiva Linux
I choose which one I want and the system boots into that partition.

Socorro

Socorro

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I prefer Virtual Machines myself. This is one way that I can run two OS at the same time. I do this when I do some testing for Windows.

i0vvny0u

i0vvny0u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
oh wow...im excited to try...i guess im going to go with the VM first just so i wont screw up my pc...thanks guys for the help! i love learning new things about this kind of stuff...so to start the VM what should i do first? i have the virtual machine from the microsoft site...is there anything else i need? or something i would need to buy?

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i guess you are refering to microsoft virtual machine 2007 - this is the wrong virtualization software as it doesn't support the linux operating system,

the one you are looking for is virtualbox

http://www.virtualbox.org/

its free and open source, and as with any program - you need to learn how to use it,

you need to download the VirtualBox 3.0.12 for Windows hosts x86/amd64 version (as your machine is the host)

i0vvny0u

i0vvny0u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
i am currently download mint linux, do i need to burn the iso image to a cd so i can run it in sun virtual box? or can i just boot from the iso image im downloading?

Edited by i0vvny0u, 27 November 2009 - 01:05 PM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
you can either burn to cd and boot with it or direct virtualbox to boot the vm from it,

i do it both ways

Advertisements

i0vvny0u

i0vvny0u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

you can either burn to cd and boot with it or direct virtualbox to boot the vm from it,

i do it both ways

i dont know how to just do it from the iso image..when i click on the iso, it keeps telling me to burn it to a cd, so i went out and bought me a cd...im currently using the VM box with the cd i have created..im super excited to being using linux! (mint version) will i need to use this cd everytime i boot up?

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
ok - if you give me a couple of minutes, i'll fire up my vm and tell you how to associate the .iso

i0vvny0u

i0vvny0u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok ty...hawklord, i noticed you are a geek in training, i was wondering if you can teach me some of your knowledge on linux use? if its not too much to ask =/

Edited by i0vvny0u, 27 November 2009 - 02:47 PM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
assuming virtualbox is installed and running,

click new (top left)
click next in the new window
you will need to add the vm name and o/s type from the drop down boxes
click next
add base memory (i use 512 - but this will depend on how much physical memory you have))
click next
create new hard disk
click next + next
check dynamically expanding storage
click next
you need to add the location where you want your vdi - or just leave it at default
and you need to set the maximum size of the virtual disk (i use 20gb)
click next + finish
click finish again

you have now created your virtual hard drive

now click settings
click CD/DVD-rom
check - mount cd/dvd drive
check - iso image file
click the little file icon
click 'add' at the next window and navigate to the .iso
click select
click ok

click start and you should be on your merry way

good luck

Edited by hawklord, 27 November 2009 - 03:05 PM.

i0vvny0u

i0vvny0u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
using this linux will help learn command line? any tips for me so i can practice?