Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible video/motherboard problems

• Please log in to reply

Sumo4x4

Sumo4x4

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been having a problem with my system for almost a year now. Its a homebuilt system. Dual Core AMD processor AM2 socket, DDR2 ram 2gb, SLI running Windows XP. If you need more info I can put it up on here.

Back in Feb of this year my computer was sitting in sleep mode. My wife went back to use it and it wouldn't come out of sleep. It just sat there. Moving the mouse, hitting the spacebar, nothing worked. So I rebooted it. Here's where the real problem started. Now I can put together a system just fine...but when it comes to troubleshooting computers I suck plain and simple.

So when it went to boot up it did nothing. The little light on the side just stayed green. The monitor light kept flashing like it was getting no signal. Tried booting it up a few times and nothing. Fans would kick up and stuff but no activity. So I tried moving my monitor cable to another port on the video cards...nothing. Tried booting up again and then I started getting some beeps. One long beep followed by two short beeps.

So I went to the internet and started researching it. With my board ( its an ASUS) that generally meant a video error either card or slot. So I borrowed my brother's video cards (7900 gt's I think, mine were 8900's if I remember correctly). Plugged them in and it booted up for a few...in safe mode. I woiuld get this message that my fan speed on the cpu was too slow. I looked at it and it was rotating just the same as it always had. Went into the startup and played with the fan settings and nothing changed it. Tried in regular mode and nothing...the same beeps again. So after a week of messing with it I just let it sit...Until about a month ago.

I did a little more searching on the internet and thought maybe the BIOS needed to be flashed. So I went through all of that. ( I was able to get it started up but it woiuldn't recognize any of my hardware). Flashed it and got my video cards recognized finally. Then...it woiuld not recognize my soundcard. And...it started its bootup thing again only different.

I would boot it up and it would just sit there with no beeps and the light blinking ever few seconds. It would take 10 or so hard boots to get it running again and still not recognizing my soundcard.

Soooooo....as I said I suck at troubleshooting computers. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I thought it might be my motherboard but I'm not sure. I don't want to spend 90 bucks on one if thats not the case. I've picked my friend's brains here and got nowhere.

Any suggestions or help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

Advertisements

Sumo4x4

Sumo4x4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
bump today

Sumo4x4

Sumo4x4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
anyone have a clue as to the problem?

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Have you checked all the connections inside the computer?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Sumo4x4

Sumo4x4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes I have checked all the connections inside the case. Nothing was unhooked or loose. I tried taking out my video cards and putting them back in as well as my sound card and still nothing.

I am able to get into the BIOS when it does boot up.