Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP pro

• Please log in to reply

bogieb

bogieb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Had a crash on my hard drive and a guy said he could help He formatted the drive and installed xp pro on the system. Noe I find out the version on the machime i Pirated How do I make this machine legal again.
I tried to get restore disks with no luck. Its a sony PCV-7762 originally with xp home edition.

Advertisements

Guest_bartblaze_*

Guest_bartblaze_*
Hi, you will just need to install the legal version .
You can do two things:

a) Just insert your Windows-cd (you got this when you bought your machine) when you are booting the computer.
b) buy a new version.

Pirated versions are besides illegal (obviously) and also Geeks to Go will not help you any further on that matter, I believe.

William Pistulka

William Pistulka

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You can get a full OEM copy of XP for $89.99 here. and that includes free shipping.

As far as the pirated software you own, you can also purchase an additional license for a retail version of Windows XP by calling (877) 426-6010 (United States only).

Either way, having pirated/stolen software on your computer is illegal and Microsoft is going after people that steal from them.
Microsoft Bans Xbox users

Usually Sony has resources for this, check back here after while and I will see if I can find any links to help you find your way there.
Also, somewhere on your computer box, should be a tag with your software key.

Bill

Edited by William Pistulka, 24 November 2009 - 09:57 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
bogieb

Is this a laptop or a desktop vaio?
Do you know if he wiped the entire hard drive and reformatted? because there was at 1 time a recovery partition on the unit that would allow you to make recovery CD's.

The PCV7762 comes up as a PCV-RX850 on the Sony website.
Have you looked Here or Here?

Other than that, you will need to buy a valid OS and install it.

123runner