Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wont boot after running avenger

• Please log in to reply

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

I need to send you over to the techs, tell them I sent you and I suspect that your c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nvata.sys got damaged

They will be able to fix you up, then return here

Hello. I'm from the virus help forums. Had an issue with the google redirect virus which eventually led to me using the program avenger and now my windows wont boot due to nvata.sys file being corrupt/missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
Hi,

When you tried to boot from CD are you sure the boot order is set to boot from your CD\DVD Room ?

Cheers.

ali.B

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Got the cd to boot up by the repair takes me to a window repair window that I could get to before (when I got combofix it installed it). From there I have no clue what to do. Just a dos prompt with C:windows\, can run chkdsk, that's about all i know.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
print out or save them following instructions as you will not be able to read this while processing.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD.

2. When the system starts to boot up, you may be asked to press any key to boot from the CD.

4. Once the system has booted from the CD, you'll see the XP Welcome Screen - at this screen, press 'R' to start recovery console.

3. You'll be prompted for the administrators password. Press enter if you don't have one.

5. At the command prompt, type: copy D:\I386\nvata.sy_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and hit enter. Note the space between the underscore "_" and the "C"

NOTE: D: is the letter of your CDROM drive. If your CD drive letter is not D:, then replace this with the relevant letter.

6. You will ge prompted to overwrite the file , type Y the enter to overwrite it.

7. Type exit to reboot.

Hopefully you will get rid of that error :)

cheers

ali.B

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i get to recovery screen where I select which windows I want to log in, there's only 1 so i select one. Then I typed in what you had and it gives me "cannot find specified file"

:)

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
well yes, my bad, nvata.sys doesn't exist in a xp cd it's nvidia related.

I'll try to find a way for you to get a copy of that file and save it on a usb ( plug it ) then all you have to do is change the command to:

copy E:\nvata.sy_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

i'll see what i can do :)

cheers

ali.B

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I got xp to start but now I'm missing all of my drivers. No sound and no internet. Plus everything that was in "My Documents" Folder is gone.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
did you do anything to start xp this way ?

cheers

ali.B

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i followed this:

Use your XP recovery console and do the following:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

This should get you back to a basic version of XP, you will then have to reload all your drivers.

This allowed me to get back into XP, but now nothing works, plus im missing all the files that were in "My Documents" folder, which is fishy because the amount of space on my harddrive is still the same as it was which makes me think those files are still somewhere on the hard drive.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
try to restore your system to an earlier date , before this error and see if that recover the drivers.

cheers

ali.B

Advertisements

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
my system restore dates are gone, the only one available is today.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
That was completely not what i had in mind for you.

I wanted to warn you not to this and surprisingly you did, i did not think you'd try to solve it yourself.

at this stage i back off for a tech which will probably have some ideas for you.

cheers

ali.B

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
my registery is pretty bonked and i'm pretty sure that is why I can't get to my old "My Documents" folder which has like 180gigs in files on it.

Lets say I run regedit, then go HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version, I should be getting an explorer option after that by i'm only getting an internet option. Any idea on how I might resolve this so i can get those files back. At this point thats all that matters, after I get them I'll reformat my drive and start from scratch. Any help is appreciated.

ali.B

ali.B

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,086 posts
see this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

make sure you read it carefully it will show you how to recover your backed up data

copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

this step allowed you to do backups

N.B: Part one of it shows the steps you just did, the solutions comes in Part Two and below.

cheers

ali.B

Edited by ali.B, 27 November 2009 - 03:52 PM.

mustacheGUY

mustacheGUY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Followed the guide now i'm posting from my comp, pretty stoked. All my files and what not are here, and it appears the virus i had is gone, so everything is looking awesome so far. Thanks for the help (even though i did fool around a bit). :)