Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen on Reboot XP

• Please log in to reply

doughahn56

doughahn56

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Rebooting problem on a Compaq N800v laptop system, specs here: http://h18000.www1.h.../11077_div.HTML
Shutdown works normally , startup works normally, reboot hangs everytime seconds after Compaq logo appears.
I am a tech working at a local PC shop and we are trying to repair this system for resale. It is a fresh install of XP Home with service pack 3 and all of the "express" windows updates installed. The hardrive is a Hitachi 40gig. Yesterday I started a fresh install on a toshiba 40 gig (as a test) and got as far as the second reboot before giving up, since the "no rebooting" problem was already happening. I have resized the partition using PQ magic to include a 10 gig freespace at the end of the drive. no effect. I have converted the partition to FAT32 from NTFS, no effect. I have run fixmbr and fixboot, no effect. there are no USB devices plugged in during restart. I dont see the point in a repair since the fresh install on the Hitachi drive was already hanging on reboot. I suspect some kind of ACPI issue so maybe today I will play with the F5 boot. I am going to keep posting until I resolve this issue so there will be a discoverable "fix" for the next poor soul that runs into this problem. All help is appreciated and will be replied to Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

doughahn56

doughahn56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am new and wasn't sure whether to reply to an old post with my question or start a new post. So I did both. this post is related to the one I found here: http://www.geekstogo...rt-t235116.html while googling for an answer to my dilemma. feel free to delete whichever post is considered redundant.