Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't recognize 2nd hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jheaton45

jheaton45

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have an old Dell Dimension desktop running XP with a 2.66GHZ processor, 512mb memory and an 80gb hard drive. I was just given a nearly identical Dell Dimension desktop (2.66ghz, 256mb, 80gb hd) from a buddy after he bought a new system. I attempted to install the hard drive from that system as a second (slave) drive in my system. Both drives are on the same double connector cable and the jumpers are set correctly for both. However, Windows will not even load if both drives are connected. Neither drive shows up in BIOS. I then tried installing my hard drive as a second drive (slave) on the newly acquired machine. The primary drive shows up in BIOS this time but my hard drive does not show as a slave and Windows will still not load (abort, retry error). If I disconnect the second drive from the cable, then all is fine. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you have the jumpers on each drive set to and what make of drive are the two of them?
Is the original drive at the end of the ribbon and the slave drive in the middle of the ribbon?

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
If Bios does not recognize drive, Check CMOS Setup.
Has CMOS setup been correctly configured for auto detection?
Have the power cord and data cable been properly connected?
Cable connector at the end is for master drive. the cable connector in the middle is for slave.
If you have a cable with a small hole somewhere in the cable then you have a cable select cable, you can set both drives to cable select if you have this type of cable.

Edited by mgabriel, 24 November 2009 - 03:58 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

If you have a cable with a small hole somewhere in the cable then you have a cable select cable

Not necessarily true. Depends on age of computer, age of bios, and type of cable (40 core or 80 core)

jheaton45

jheaton45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The drive I designate as master is connected to the end of the ribbon and the slave is connected in the middle. Slave drive calls for no jumper. My harddrive is a Seagate but I'm currently unsure of the model of the other one (can take case off and pull it out to see if needed). Neither machine likes it when the 'foreign' drive is installed as a slave as I've tried on both. I've seen where Windows won't recognize a second drive, but in this case, Windows will not even load if the second drive is connected.

jheaton45

jheaton45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
As for CMOS setup, I don't know how to check that. I apologize for my lack of tech skill. I am sure though that cable and jumpers are connected properly with each attempt. I've tried cable select as well, but to no avail.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have never seen a drive that requires no jumper to be set as slave.

jheaton45

jheaton45

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That's how it's illustrated on the drive itself. To be sure I'm not missing something, I copied this directly from the Seagate website regarding jumper settings for their ATA drives over 20GB:
Drive as slave. If you are installing the drive as an additional drive in your system, the drive should be set as slave by removing all jumpers. Remember to confirm that the original drive is set to a master position (If the limit capacity jumper is required for your installation it will need to remain in place).

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Seagate ATA
Maxtor Ata
Ultra ATA Cable This would be 80 core cable. The 40 core cable is the same width but only 40 wires vs 80 wires

You might have to play with 40 core vs 80 core and the master/ slave settings.
Also try the 2nd drive as a master on the 2nd channel.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

If you have a cable with a small hole somewhere in the cable then you have a cable select cable

Not necessarily true. Depends on age of computer, age of bios, and type of cable (40 core or 80 core)

That is a true fact. I have two cables that have a hole in the cable which are cable-selct cables that came out of two computers running pentium 4 processor. Actually it was a question on the CompTIA A+ exam.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
to acces CMOS/BIOS hit the F2 key upon the start up. If it's not F2, it will tell you which function key to hit to access system settings during startup

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Drive as slave. If you are installing the drive as an additional drive in your system, the drive should be set as slave by removing all jumpers. Remember to confirm that the original drive is set to a master position (If the limit capacity jumper is required for your installation it will need to remain in place)

Is the drive on the same ribbon as the original hd or is it connected to the dvd\cdrom ribbon?
Also is the original HD set as a master with slave present or as a single master drive?