Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuto permenant virus

• Please log in to reply

vlad42

vlad42

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi everyone!!! Well its that time of year, or time to clean out the garage at my place. So i was cleaning when i found a working computer. I cleaned it and found out it was an old compaq evo. It was at least 2-3 yrs old. So when i turned it up i was surprised to find that the OS (Windows Server 2008) was still loaded. So (since it used to be a server) i could not log in the existing acount (nor did i have an instillation disc for the OS). So i thoght, time to move on. I installed Ubouto (or however its called) onto the computer. It was the 9.10 type. It worked normally. Untill this thing happened when whenever i click on a program (in any way) the whole screen flashes a light purple very quickly, then it slows down the system for a short time. This is very annoying since im going to use it for games. Anyone got the anwser? Also another question. When it had Windows on, a few files were created. And while i was installing The current OS i had no option but to delete the (windows os)

Would the files still be there untouched, or will they be deleted with the system?

Edited by vlad42, 24 November 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
easy thing first - when you installed ubuntu on your hdd, it wiped everything else off

concerning the title - its very unlikely you have a virus

what games are you planing to play - be aware that windows games will not play or install on your system,
if its online games then there shouldn't be any problem

the 'slow down' issue could be your graphics card,
do you know the make and model ?

vlad42

vlad42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Well.It just went away for the moment

Iconicmoronic

Iconicmoronic

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Try cleaning the computer with some compressed air. Sitting in the garage sounds like some of the PC components could have taken a few hard hits or dust blizzards. This really could improve performance. Try finding an alternative driver for your graphics card too, Ubuntu makes this simple.