Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI-E to PCI Adapter question

• Please log in to reply

JLmusic99

JLmusic99

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a PCI card that I need to use, but no PCI slot, only PCI-E.

I bought this PCI-E adapter :

PCI-E to PCI adapter

but unfortunately with the PCI card, it won't fit in the case (probably a quarter inch more and it would fit).

I was thinking of buying this cable:

Pci-E extender cable

inserting the adapter into that, and the PCI card into the adapter. It would then be hanging out the back of the computer, figured I would put it in a box or something, not sure how hot they get.

Seems sort of crazy, but would it work?

Thanks.

Edited by JLmusic99, 25 November 2009 - 04:46 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you tell me what Motherboard you have?

JLmusic99

JLmusic99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The computer is an HP a6755y:

HP a6755y

The motherboard is MSI MS-7548:

MSI MS-7548

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wow what a setup.
When you say it hangs out of the back of the system i don't understand as the face plate should stop it from going through the slot.
OK I'm confused because the specs show this has onboard video. Why are you putting a PCI card in? This is not going to be as fast as the onboard.

JLmusic99

JLmusic99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
THe PCI card ia a UAD-1 DSP card (plugins for recording).

Long story short, I was using this card in a computer that had PCI slots, that computer died, had to move quickly to this HP computer I already owned, but no PCI slots.

Replacing the PCI card with a PCI-E version of the card is proving to be difficult and/or too expensive, so I thought I would try the PCI-E to PCI adapter, as that has worked for others. Unfortunately for me, it wouldn't fit in the case, the case is about a quarter inch too small.

So I found the PCI-E ribbon cable extender (haven't bought it yet), and I thought maybe I could use that, have it come out of the computer through where the pci-e bracket normally attaches in the back of the computer, attach the adapter to that, and the PCI to the adapter. So the PCI card is now outside of the computer. Figured I would put in a box, hopefully heat or anything else isn't an issue.

Make sense?

Trying to make sure if there is any reason this wouldn't work.

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it makes sense and if the card is outside of the case then heat is not a issue.
Now the issue will be static since the card is now unprotected from the outside.
Is it possible with the adapter and the extender to move the card to a lower slot where it may fit?

JLmusic99

JLmusic99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, the card together with the adapter won't fit no matter what slot. It would stick up just enough to where I couldn't close the case, and aside from that, there is a metal lip along the top edge of the case that also makes it impossible to get the card in.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm I can't advise you to run it outside the system because it is not meant to do that. If you decide to do this I would suggest a anti static bag around the card to semi protect it.
You may also want to contact HP and ask them about this issue. I advise you to do this first before attempting the outside of the case fix.

JLmusic99

JLmusic99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay, thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem and please let us know how everything works out.

JLmusic99

JLmusic99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Will do. If I decide to try it, I will pop back and tell you how it goes! It may take up to 20 days apparently for the PCI-E extender cable to be shipped from Hong Kong (unless you or someone knows where to get one quicker, I can't find it anywhere else).

Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No I don't know but I will research and see what I can find.