Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installed wrong Operating System-HELP

• Please log in to reply

george28

george28

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I recently re-installed my Op system. Only I installed the wrong version. I installed Windows Home instead of Windows Pro. (Grabbed the wrong disk) Can I now installed Pro OVER Windows Home WITHOUT losing all my stuff???

Thank you

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...do the upgrade install..
1.5 Upgrading vs. Installing a New Copy
======================================================================

After you start the Windows XP Setup Wizard, one of the first decisions you have to make is whether to upgrade your current operating system or to perform an entirely new installation. During the setup process, you must choose between upgrading or installing a new copy of Windows (a "clean install").

During an upgrade, the Windows XP Setup Wizard replaces existing Windows files but preserves your existing settings and applications. Some applications might not be compatible with Windows XP Professional and therefore might not function properly after an upgrade. You can upgrade to Windows XP Professional from the following operating systems:

* Windows 98 (all versions)
* Windows Millennium Edition
* Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (Service Pack 6 and later)
* Windows 2000 Professional (including service packs)
* Windows XP Home Edition

complete instructions here...