Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drivers in W7

• Please log in to reply

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer, and have run into an issue with drivers.
I'm running an HP DV6000 Laptop, and any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• Driver_Screenshot.png

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Infliktah09...

You need to install the chipset drivers. HP doesn't list Windows 7 drivers for this machine on it's website, but the Vista drivers should work. HP Support Website.

You might also check Windows Update for optional updates that might include the drivers.

wannabe1

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks so much, except the only problem I have, is figuring out which drivers to install...or which ones are missing for that matter...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Get the Vista Chipset Drivers for your model machine. There are quite a few sub-models to choose from for the dv6000...the exact sub-model number should be on a tag on the bottom of the machine.

Go to the page i linked you to earlier, type dv6000 in the "for product" field and click the arrow. Then you'll have to choose the sub-model. Once on the Drivers page, download and install the Chipset drivers.

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I attempt to install, it says "this operating system is not supported" with an option to click ok. that's it. I'm attempting to download the driver "Mobile Intel 945 express chipset family driver" for my dv6418ca :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nice. HP isn't going to offer Win 7 support for that chipset. The good news is that intel is supporting the chipset. Drivers

The second in the list is the .zip version and is installed differently than an exe. The exe version is the fifth in the list...try that one first and see if it will install. If it won't, we'll get the zip version and update the drivers using that.

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It seems to work, as I was prompted to restart (which I did)...however my drivers don't seem to be in any better shape than they were

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What does Device Manager show now?

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Looks exactly the same as the screen shot I had posted originally.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
On the Intel page, in the right column, the bottom selection is to a utility that will help you identify drivers. Give that a try.

Advertisements

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Now this is starting to get frustrating. I installed the intel scanner, and scanned my drivers. One "Audio Driver for Intel desktop board" is "unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates."...and the only other driver update detectable:"Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection" downloads, runs, and then dissapears without a trace. Still no change to my device manager either.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's really frustrating is that I had Win 7 beta installed on a dv6000 and didn't have to install a single driver. Unfortunately, that particular machine suffered a motherboard failure and is no longer among the living.

Let me do a bit more research tonight and I'll get back with you in the morning.

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks very much. Your timely responses have been more appreciated.

There's no rush, as everything seems to work fine from what I've tried...it's just hard to turn the other cheek to.

Cheers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Between the holiday and a very busy black Friday, it's been pretty hectic around here.

Download and install the bottom two drivers in the list...starting with the Media Accelerator.

Intel Drivers

See if that changes anything in Device Manager. We're just going to have to hunt and peck at this as HP is not planning on supporting Windows 7 on this model.

Infliktah09

Infliktah09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, but when I click the link, there are sever different media accelerators, and neither of them are in the bottom two... petrified to try wrong stuff...