Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with an internal hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

giveupnow

giveupnow

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not being an expert with computer repair; I’ll try and explain the situation the best that I can.
My computer is a Gateway GT4010 (desktop)
I’m having problems with a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 250 BG/133 HDD

This drive is used as a spare drive and has worked fine for the last 5 years. Yesterday the Maxtor started to slow the computer to a craw, paralyzing operations. The drive unexpectedly began showing (slower than normal) signs of “thinking” [Indexing I believe it’s called] in turn paralyzing the computer. (It was so slow that it took 30 minutes to open the “my computer” folder; in an attempt to access the drive’s folder). I powered down and removed the drive from the computer and that resolved the issue.

Now, before anyone says it, I do plan on buying a new storage drive and eventually a new computer, but in the meantime, I need the information off of the Maxtor, so I was hoping someone could assist me with this issue. Maybe there is a resolution or some procedure that I could follow if I boot into safe mode?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Any questions please email me at jaywolfradioATyahoo.com

Thank you

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi giveupnow and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Sounds like the drive is going out.
You can try turning off indexing on the drives. (if you do not use a lot of searching, indexing is not needed).

Turn off indexing on particular hard disk drive

1. Open up “My Computer”. Or open “Windows Explorer” and then expand Computer tree.
2. Right click on the hard drive to disable indexing (i.e (C:) drive letter).
3. Select Properties on the contextual menu.
4. Click on General tab if it’s not already selected.
5. Untick (unselect) the check box for Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching option.
6. Click OK, and wait for the index removal process to complete, which may take a few minutes.
7. Repeat the steps for other hard drives if applicable.

You can also do the drive manufacturers diagnostics to see what comes up.
Maxtor Diagnostics
Use the bootable iso file. It will boot from the CD and run from CD.

I do not think there is much else that can be done.

123runner