Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphic card gives code 10 error after crashing

• Please log in to reply

Drin

Drin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, thank you for your time, Here is my situation:

About 20 minutes of playing a game, the screen freezes and cause the computer to crash giving me a blue screen error which is too fast for me to catch. I boot the computer up and tried another game, this time it crashed within minutes. I took out the graphic card to examine and found a lot of dusts near the fan, so I clear the them out and put the card back in.

I thought the problem is fixed and then the computer crashes again. This time when I boot it back up I found all graphic setting is set to lowest and there are stripes all over the screen. When I checked the device manager I found a yellow exclamation mark next to my graphic card and a code 10 error.

By the way, my graphic card is Evga Nvidia 8600GT which I purchased 2 years ago and hasn't giving me any problem before this.

Here is what I tried:
Update driver, no changes.
Uninstall card, gives me an error cannot uninstall when I restart the computer it gives me blank screen with stripes after windows logo is shown. I had to use the last known good setting to get it to boot.
Reformat and reinstall xp, no changes.
Right now I'm using onboard graphic card which sucks.

Here is my system specs:

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)
Motherboard Name Intel Avalon D915GAV (4 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G
System Memory 2038 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (02/22/06)

Display Video Adapter Intel® 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (128 MB) this is the onboard graphic card
3D Accelerator Intel GMA 900
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (L52091416341)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (L52091416341)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD1600JD-22HBC0 (149 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive BENQ DVD DD DW1640 (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

I fear my card is really dead.

Advertisements

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well what card do you have exactly? Also, I need you to get information about the power supply

Drin

Drin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
graphic card: e-GeForce 8600 GT 256mb DDR3 PCI-E

power supply
Model No: WIN-500PS Pentium 4
AC INPUT 115/230V~, 8.5A/5.5A, 50-60 Hz
DC OUTPUT: 500W

Did I get everything?

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well I do have a few ideas of possible problems -
1. Insufficient Power - your computer does have a 500w power which should be good enough as the card only requires a 350w power supply. Did your card come with a power cable? A lot of graphics cards require an additional 4-Pin power cable that attach to your motherboard.
2. BIOS configured incorrectly. Go into your BIOS on start up and look for a setting called "Assign IRQ for VGA". Make sure that is ENABLED. This important because an IRQ supplies the card with the necessary resources to function. After that is enabled, reboot into windows.

After you have tried fixing the BIOS, please let me know what happened

Drin

Drin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
1. My card doesn't come with a power cable

2. I couldn't found that setting anywhere in BIOS, my BIOS version is EV91510A.86A.482
I don't think the problem is with IRQ since it's been working for 2 years.

Right now, I have to take out the geforce card otherwise I can't use integrated graphic card.