Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD burning drive needs driver and windows doesn't have it

• Please log in to reply

Computer Learner

Computer Learner

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just bought a laptop external DVD burning drive and Windows 7 says DVD devices has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. On my sons computer it is trying to install the drivers for this device and it never finds it so I think I need to find the driver somewhere and install it. I'm having a difficult time finding it. It's a PBDS DVD+-RW DS-8W1P USB device. Strangely it did not come with a driver disk. Any help would be appreciated.

Walt

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Computer Learner and welcome to Geeks to Go.

I am not sure about Windows 7, but what I use on XP is a progran called Burnaware.
It is a real simple program.

123runner

Computer Learner

Computer Learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's not the burning software that's a problem. I use ImgBurn and like it a lot. The computer is not detecting the device and I need something like device drivers for it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sorry, misread .
Did you try uninstalling through device manager and then rebooting to allow windows to re-install the drivers?

Computer Learner

Computer Learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Strangely the device doesn't show up in device manager under DVD/CD devices. Stranger and stranger huh?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions

Computer Learner

Computer Learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Broni your obviously a genius. I used option #4 and it worked like a dream. I will remember that one. I've learned a lot about Windows computers in the last 15 months (I mean a whole lot) but I'm always happy to learn something new as computers are a hobby to me. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed 123Runner and myself to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

Computer Learner

Computer Learner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Actually that did not solve the problem. It did appear in device manager window but after trying to burn a DVD disk I got an error message and it was no longer listed in device manager window. After chatting online with a Microsoft technician for 3 hours and letting him take control of my computer so he could do some troubleshooting which did not help I thought maybe it's the Multi port USB device I was using. I bought it from Wordstart and just received it today. I thought it was a good idea because it took 1 USB port and made it 4. When I removed it and connected my external DVD burning drive directly to the USB port it worked fine. Once again it turned out to be a simple thing. I can't believe how often it is. What a long day for me but thanks for your input anyway.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I thought maybe it's the Multi port USB device I was using. I bought it from Wordstart and just received it today. I thought it was a good idea because it took 1 USB port and made it 4. When I removed it and connected my external DVD burning drive directly to the USB port it worked fine

That would mean that the device is not receiving enough power through the USB port. Some of the multiport devices will come with an external power source that can also be plugged in.

Anyways, thanks for letting us know that you got it sorted out.

123runner