Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't uninstall Mcafee Agent

• Please log in to reply

dudemonz

dudemonz

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just bought a new computer with windows 7 professional 32 bit.
I installed virus protection that my university offered for free, but it did not work out and the red M never appeared like it was sopposed to. i tried to update but it keeps saying it is unable to update.
Now i realize that this version might not even work on windows 7?? i was foolish and assumed that it would work on 7.
anyway, i decided to uninstall it, and one part of it uninstalled fine but the Mcafee Agent will not go away. Ive done the uninstall for it in the programs and features, but it says it cant be removed because it is in use by other programs.

can anyone help me remove it? would i be best off just using the recovery disks and starting form scratch again? i havent even started using the computer aside from trying to put on Mcafee, so im not worried about losing any information, is it ok to do a full recovery so soon after beginning to use a new computer?

thanks for any help in advance!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
download and run the mcafee removal tool

http://majorgeeks.co...Tool_d5420.html

dudemonz

dudemonz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok i downloaded that and when i doubleclicked the MCPR it started but then something popped up saying that it is mcafee enterprise software detected and cannot continue, saying to contact mcafee technical support. i already tried to call them and they referred me back to the internet saying they could not help on the phone and to use some chat thing mcafee offers. but i never received the email form them that would let me find their chat helpers, which i think they woudl just try to get me to continue using mcafee which i dont want to do.

any further suggestions? is using the recovery dvds a bad idea?

Thanks!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
No need for them yet

Try run the mcafee removal tool in safe mode

dudemonz

dudemonz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
not sure how to get into safe mode? do i have to do something when the computer starts up to get into safe mode?

sorry im not the hottest with computers, but will try that if its not too difficult...

dudemonz

dudemonz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
getting into safe mode is not the problem, just wondering if it is difficult to get out of safe mode or do i just restart and it automatically goes back to the normal mode?

dudemonz

dudemonz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK i tried it in safe mode and still got he same response from my computer saying that it needs to contact Mcafee for further support...

recovery disks becoming more of an option?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
try close as much of mcafee as you can before doing this

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
McAfee Enterprise is a pain, if it doesn't want to uninstall through Add\Remove.
Sometimes, manual removal is needed.
Go here: https://mysupport.mc...l...sURL=3&pl=0
and search for:
- KB59996- How to manually remove VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i
- KB65863- Manual removal instructions for McAfee Agent 4.x

I can't give you direct links, because you can find those articles only through search on McAfee site.

dudemonz

dudemonz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK I tried the method that Rorschach112 had posted first, Revo Uninstaller and I'm pretty sure it worked perfect, Mcafee Agent seems to be gone for now...

Any suggestions of what might be the best AntiVirus protection for Windows 7????? I have a one year version of Norton but I don't really want to use Norton and if there's something that I can use that is reliable and free forever then that seems like the best one to use!!

thanks in advance for any suggestions, and thanks again for the help so far!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c..._antivirus.html
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/
NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use Comodo firewall..
If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

dudemonz

dudemonz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
great!! thanks for the suggestions will try one of those out for sure!

thanks for all the help, and see you again if there is another problem...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
:)