Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore will not work

• Please log in to reply

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
For an unknown reason System Restore refuses to restore to an earlier date in my XP computer.I have tried also in Safe Mode. In regular mode the System Restore screen comes on and the completion bar happens very quickly and I have learned from experience that it will not work after the reboot. In Safe mode the completion bar moves across the screen slowly as it does when System Restore actually works BUT after rebooting it still tells me it could not restore to the chosen earlier time. I have tried it on at least a dozen restore points, some of which I created just to test the program. No restore point works.

I have gone to the MS boards and did everything they say to do to makes sure it is started, is running, etc. Still no success. I have scaned the computer with Norton Internet Security 2009 and find no viruses, trojans, or anything. I am confident that there are no problems with these.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Impala1ss, 25 November 2009 - 02:11 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Why are you trying to restore to a earlier date if nothing is wrong?
You mention no issue that a restore is needed.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Why are you trying to restore to a earlier date if nothing is wrong?
You mention no issue that a restore is needed.

I guess that I didn't know that something had to be wrong to get System Restore to work. I started having "slowness" issues after loading some software which didn't work like I expected. I uninstalled the software using "Add/Remove Software" but the slowness continued.

I then tried to Restore to an earlier time that had no problems but it will not restore to ANY restore point. There are NO virus, spyware, ar any malware issues because I have checked. I tried System Restore after booting into Safe Mode but it still does n ot work, and I would like it to ffor future use.

Edited by Impala1ss, 28 November 2009 - 09:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Slowness usually won't be corrected by a system restore as installed programs will still be there. Let's take a look and see if we can find the actual root of your problem.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
deleted

Edited by Impala1ss, 28 November 2009 - 07:05 PM.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Here's what you wanted. Thanks

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type HDD
GPU Sensor Type Driver (NV-DRV)

Temperatures
GPU 49 °C (120 °F)
WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 36 °C (97 °F)

Attached Files

Edited by Impala1ss, 28 November 2009 - 07:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

"dellsupportcenter"
+ "ehTray"
"EPSON Stylus CX6600 Series"
"Google Desktop Search"
+ "ISTray"
X "nmapp" (There are two of these so make sure you get this one)
X "QuickTime Task"
+ "CodeStuff Starter.lnk"
X "FreeRAM XP" (This is a wonder program and usually not worth it. It is up to you to have it or not)
X "Google Update"
X "swg" "GoogleToolbarNotifier"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OK. Did it all, as you suggested. In addition I got a copy of Advanced System Care Professional and used it. A new problem has developed. When I load IE 6.0 it has now become very slow and unstable. It loads itself several times even though I click on it once, and it is s-l-o-w but it works once in a while. This happened after I did the things you suggested.

The problem that started all of this was when I tried to load Windows Live Mail which has worked for at least a month since I last gave up on Outlook Express and loaded this. It suddenly refused to open saying the calander files were corrupted. I finally got it to work after fooling around with Advanced System Care. That is when I discovered System Restore wouldn't work.

Things like booting up had been very slow for a while.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you use the registry fix option in ASC?
I use to have it and uninstalled it because registry cleaners will cause more problems then they fix.
I will stop till I hear what you are doing with ASC.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes. I used Registry Fix and things have speeded up quite a bit. I also updated IE6 to IE8 and that seems to have resolved the problems I was having with IE6. Still have problem with slow boot and I don't know if System Restore works.

Edited by Impala1ss, 30 November 2009 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So your issue is with the actual login in to windows correct?

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
NO the problem is slow boot and don't know whether System Restore works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By slow boot you mean when you turn the system on it takes a long time to get to the windows loading screen then?

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

By slow boot you mean when you turn the system on it takes a long time to get to the windows loading screen then?

No, I get the welcome screen OK but the problem is how long it takes for everything to load and to get to a point when I can use various programs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck anthing that references the above program and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results