Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore will not work

• Please log in to reply

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Sorry but I don't know what program you are referring to.

In MSCONFIG ther were only 5 things checked - 2 for NVidea video card, 2 for Creative sound card, and one for Advanced System Care. I unchecked them and now there is nothing checked in Startups.

Rebooted and Welcome screen came up fairly fast, but then the Desktop with icons came up very quickly. That is different BUT it still took over 5 minutes for any programs to be functional.

In the Notification area of the Taskbar (where the clock is) "Safely Remove Hardware" icon and "Volume" icon both came up with the Desktop.

Only 2 other icons finally showed up - "norton Internet Security" and "Local Area Connection" showing I was connected to my network.

After they showed up, programs were functional.

I then tried System Restore and tried to restore to yesterday's restore point. I would not restore.

I then rebooted and Welcome Screen came up reasonably quickly. Desktop and all icons showed up very quickly, and like before in Notification Area:Safely Remove Hardware" and "Volumn"icons showed up almost immediately. I then timed the other 2 during which "Norton Internet Security" icon took 73 seconds to show up and the "Local Area Network" icon took 316 seconds to appear, and then it took about 20 seconds more before I could load IE8.

Keep in mind that I will have to restore sopme items in MSCONFIG Startup when we are done and this will delay bootup completion farther.

I have also ordered a new WD Black 500 gig HD which will be here in about 5 days. I will use Norton Internet Security - Copy Hard Drive - to clone current "C" drive and I will use the new drive as "C" and present drive as "D". Various programs have said that my current HD is much slower than most. I have no idea why.

Edited by Impala1ss, 01 December 2009 - 02:36 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drives different in speed usually because of the amount of buffer memory.
I will be honest with you about I don't like Norton's tools. They have been known to be serious resource hogs which will slow uour system down. As you can see it takes Norton's as one of the longest programs to start.
If you are using the firewall feature with it then I would suggest either using windows built in firewall or something like Comodo Firewall
This may also help with the Local Area Network icon.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I'm pretty weak at networking. How would a new firewall cause the LAN icon/delay?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Because the program itself takes so long to load. Norton's is a resource hog and thus slow the system down.
Since the program has tot ake so long to load then the startup slows down.