Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Pages Won't Load

• Please log in to reply

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I'm having a problem with firefox working and working but the page won't load until I refresh. Also, on many pages it appears the page has loaded, but the icon on the tab shows it's still loading. On those I have to hit escape to stop it, F5 usually doesn't completely load those pages.

I'm using Firefox 3.0.15, I uninstalled and reinstalled it this morning but that didn't help.

This started yesterday afer I installed the new 9.0 AVG Free. I manually deleted some Mcafee files during installation that hadn't uninstalled when the program was uninstalled years ago.

Have XP.

Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I believe this is resolved. In AVG under Tools then Advanced Settings then Link Scanner, I disabled all 3 options. I now have a yellow ! on my AVG icon indicating it is malfunctioning, but it's better than having pages hang up. If anyone has a resolution to the yellow ! I'd be happy to hear it.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your best option is to uninstall AVG, using AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/u.../download-tools and switch to something less troublesome...

- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c..._antivirus.html
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/
NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use Comodo firewall..
If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm using Firefox 3.0.15

Security or update issue Broni?
New version is 3.5

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I believe, 3.0.x is still getting updated.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I had a similar problem when I forgot to uncheck the box that puts AVG's Tool Bar in the browser. Really slowed down some sites being loaded. Some timed out. Just wasn't worth having AVG protect that way. Once uninstalled, problems went away. Rest of AVG is still fine. Still use version 2.0.0.20 as I am hard headed and just don't like latest version. :)

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Thank you for the software suggestions Broni. I use Zone Alarm firewall which I'm very happy with. And I hate Comodo, have tried it a couple times and could never get it to work right. But I'm saving the other 2 anti-virii to try.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You might want to also try running McAfee uninstaller from HERE and see if it will clean out any remnants left behind.

123runner

SillyLilly

SillyLilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

You might want to also try running McAfee uninstaller from HERE and see if it will clean out any remnants left behind.

123runner

Thank you, I recognized a few other names that I've probably had on my computer at one time or another, so ran uninstall for those too.