Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EN8400GS and Celeron D - Issues

• Please log in to reply

The Craven

The Craven

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
So, to start off, I've been trying to upgrade an old computer of mine to sell (looking to build a $3000 system this spring, and the cash from this system will go towards that purchase). The system was quite outdated, running an ancient Celeron D with 1GB of DDR233 RAM and 2 WD 40GB HDD's in Raid 0. Since the specs were right, I went ahead and installed a copy of Windows 7 Enterprise x86. Afterwords, I decided to beef it up a bit with an 802.11n wireless NIC and an ASUS EN8400GS 512MB graphics card. However, upon installation of the GPU, things started to go downhill.

First, the card will only send a constant signal via S-Video, but the image is very fuzzy and the contrast is far too high. Adjusting monitor settings does not help. Secondly, the signal via D-Sub can only be seen once the BIOS has finished loading and the "Starting Windows" screen appears. As soon as that screen goes away, the signal does too. Another thing in the box was a S-Video to Component converter. It doesn't produce any signal, at any time. Finally, I am left with the DVI connection, something which I have no way of testing (my monitor/TV doesn't support it).

I'm really not sure where to go from here. I'd really like to have a solid signal via either Component or D-Sub. If anyone has any ideas as to how to get things straightened out, I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry if this is far too long-winded, at least it's thorough. Thanks in advance for any help, and if I've missed anything, please ask.

~The Craven

Advertisements

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

Can you tell me what is the exact speed of this cpu? And you've manage to install Win 7 on this comp? What motherboard? That's it for now.

The Craven

The Craven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The CPU is an Intel Celeron D 2.4GHz overclocked to 3.0GHz. The motherboard is an ASRock P4VM890. Windows 7 (x86 at least) was an easy install, as the system requirements are VERY low.

Also, as a note to my original post, I've updated all of my drivers to the Win 7 compatible versions.

Edited by The Craven, 25 November 2009 - 10:11 PM.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Do you have the latest drivers for your graphic card? You should try to disable your 8400GS graphic and start windows with onboard graphic card so we can see if everything works this way.

The Craven

The Craven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, the drivers are up to date, and nVidia claims that they work with 32-bit Windows 7. I just disconnected the 8400GS and used the mobo's onboard via D-Sub, and the results are crystal clear. However, anyone who has owned a computer knows that onboard is no excuse for a real graphics card. Not really sure where to go from here. I've exhausted every idea I can think of, and searches of this forum and all of Google's vastness leads me to nothing.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Can you try this card in some other computer? Maybe the card isn't working properly I have to say that this models 8400 and 8500 had alot of problems and didn't work properly I've seen 2 cards of 8400 and 1 of 8500 model in short time dead I know this from my experience it happen last year in comp service I was working.So if you are able to try this card in some other comp it would help.

The Craven

The Craven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just so happen to have a sys coming to me this weekend that I'll test it in. I'm also going to test a different monitor too, since I somehow forgot to try that; maybe I'll get lucky.

The Craven

The Craven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Any other ideas before testing the card in a new system?