Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new PC, what do you guys think of the parts?

• Please log in to reply

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I'm building a new gaming PC for my friend, and it is my first build. His budget (including monitor, keyboard, and mouse) is less than $1000. What do you think of this part list?

Case: COOLER MASTER Elite RC-310-BWN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1155-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Power Supply: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC (he wanted modular cabling)

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX620WFGIBOX

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:WD6401AALS

Keyboard: Logitech Deluxe 250 Black USB Wired Standard Keyboard - OEM

Mouse: Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Gaming Mouse

Monitor: Acer H213H bmid Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen 16:9 LCD Monitor (same monitor I have, it's good)

DVD Drive: LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

I appreciate the help everyone.

Advertisements

The Craven

The Craven

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
For a low cost build, that seems highly reasonable. However, I'd recommend looking for a 512 graphics card. Even 5+ year old cards had 512, so finding a cheap one from the GTX 2xx line shouldn't be too hard. Also, unless you plan to do some overkill OC'ing, the cooler you listed could be left alone (thus, more money for the 512MB graphics).

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I think you may have misread the video card. It is a 1GB, so a 512mb would be a 50% downgrade. I was thinking of the cooler because it is a mid-tower case, and for extra security from overheating.

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I think you may have misread the video card. It is a 1GB, so a 512mb would be a 50% downgrade. Also, I was thinking of getting the cooler because I had a bad experience with a stock AMD fan letting my CPU get way too hot.

Any other comments about the build?

(sorry for the double post, I am new to forums XD)

Edited by dnaghitorabi, 26 November 2009 - 11:33 AM.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi!

How much all this costs? and from which store?

The Craven

The Craven

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wow, yes I did misread that...sorry. Well, in that case, for $20 more, you could get a Asetek liquid cooler and go into the high 3.xxGHz range.

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the quick replies guys. This build costs $970.87 including monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Again, this is out of my friend's pocket, so I would have to ask him before adding $20 to the budget. Also, I don't think he will be overclocking at all. The only reason I am getting a cooler is because I had an AMD 6400, which would overheat and shutdown under heavy gaming with the stock cooler. After I got the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, it stopped happening.

So, as far as you guys can see, there aren't ANY compatibility issues? And performance wise, my friend was thinking of getting the Valve Complete Pack so we could play the same games. I am 99% sure this pc will plow through the Source Engine, but do you all agree?

P.S. Craven, I think you probably saw 256-bit, and thought it was 256mb, completely understandable.

Oh and everything is from Newegg.com

Edited by dnaghitorabi, 26 November 2009 - 12:39 PM.

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Is this thread a dud now?

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
In this configuration I would change graphic card I would go for this
SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail $164.99
Faster and better with support for new dx11, multi monitor support, using less power!

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consult my friend about it, because it is a little bit more expensive. I agree that DirectX 11 would be a smart investment, but he will only be playing Source games, which are still on DirectX 9. It is definately a strong possibility though so thanks.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
No problem :) happy to help

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Okay everyone, is that it for the adjustments to my original setup? If so, I guess I can tell my friend that I have decided on the parts list. Any last things that need to be addressed?

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I don't have anything else to add! So that's it from me!

dnaghitorabi

dnaghitorabi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
cool

thaig3r

thaig3r

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I would change the motherboard to GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P $69 after MIR.

Use the difference in money to get a radeon 5770.