Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C: drive is filling up

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
When first setting up Windows XP PRO on my computer, I allocated 40GB of a 320GB hard drive to make my c: drive. This is where I installed XP and other software applications.
I have all of my data (my documents, photos, etc) stored on a completely separate drive.

Now, after installing several different programs, including some music software which takes up considerable space, I realize that the 40GB partition I originally made as my "system drive" is just not big enough (already I only have 11GB still available).

Yet... I have plenty (around 250GB) of unallocated space just sitting there on the very same hard drive. I intended to use it originally for other things, but now I would really like to take around 40 gigabytes of that unused, unallocated space and add them to my c: drive.

What would be the best way to do this (without reformatting the drive).

Looking up the subject on Google, I found explanations, using 3rd party software (eg. Acronis Disk Director Suite) on how to merge existing partitions. But I'm kind of hoping that my situation might be simpler and less risky since I intend to merge unallocated space rather than an existing partition.

So my questions is: What would be the safest, most reliable, and easiest way to go about performing this task?

Thanks!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You won't be able to merge "unallocated space".

It needs to be formatted 1st and made a partition.

Try Easeus Partition Master.
Its free for home use and easy to use.

123runner

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Thanks for the tip.

I downloaded and installed Easeus. It seems to have received good reviews :)

I found out how to expand my c: drive... (from what i can tell, it uses the unallocated space on my drive rather than the empty formatted partition i made to merge with it) are you sure about having to use a formatted partition to add space to my c: drive?

also, i've noticed there are warnings about changing the size of the system boot drive. i can understand it is always a bit risky to play around with your system drive and therefor necessary to bring up the issue, but how risky is it? is there anything i should do to improve my chances of modifying the disk space successfully? if i have 30GB out of 40GB full, would it be worth the risk and the trouble, do you think? or should i just keep it as it is, until I am really pushing the limit?

Looking forward to replies. Thx.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If it allows you to expand by using unallocated then that is good also.

Part of the help file states "In step 6, you can also resize the partition by specifying new values in the Unallocated Space Before, Partition Size, and Unallocated Space After text boxes. The values you type may change slightly to values supported by your drive's geometry"

It is always risky to change ANY partition especially the boot drive.
I would clean out all the temp files and then do a defrag of the system.
I recommend Auslogics defrag from my signature.
Always make sure you have backups of anything you do not want to lose.