Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System shutting itself down

• Please log in to reply

festycheese

festycheese

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so i recently upgraded my pc and installed:

A8N SLI Premium Mobo (939 socket 64bit amd cpu)
4 x 512 corsair ram
1 x 8800gt
1 x 680 watt power supply

For a while it kept shutting itself down, sometimes a few seconds after i turned it on or a few minutes from desktop. I tried a number of things to fix it and in the end dropped it in at a local pc shop. They said the 8800gt was overheating and causing it to shut down, it so happens that i have another 8800gt so installed that and it turned on fine, got to playing Modern Warfare 2 for 30 mins or so then switched it off and went to work. When i came home and switched it back on it shut down after 1-3 seconds and kept doing it. I opened the case and put my pedestal fan on facing the mobo and it turned on all the way to desktop and then as soon as i loaded MW2 it shut off, second time around it shut off after using firefox for 1 minute.

Seems that it must be CPU overheating but i thought i might post just in case anyone else has come across this before and had any fresh ideas.

Cheers in advance :)

Advertisements

dave04045

dave04045

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
It could be the cooling fan on the Power Supply. Try feeling the back or listening for the fan.