Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTVDM CPU

• Please log in to reply

newfiefanny

newfiefanny

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi There
I am new so hope i am using this forum right ..lol.
Anyway, My problem is that i had downloaded ie8 and get getting application errors..so after a long and painful struggle , i removed it and went back to ie7...Everything worked great after that ( for about 8 hrs) Then i started getting this popup that says ...
c:\Windows\System32\svhost.exe
THE NTVDM CPU Has encountered an illegal instruction
cs:0546 IP 0170 op of0c 03 00 00
Close to terminate or ignore

Ignore does not run in the popup and also the blue header says ...16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
I have tried everything that i know of , all updates are recent , run antivirus everyday, done a disk check ...I am lost !!! Hope you can help...Thank-you so much .

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try booting into Safe Mode and let us know if it happens there. If it doesn't then we may have a driver problem.
Reboot back to Normal mode and follow the instructions below.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

newfiefanny

newfiefanny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi rshaffer61
Tried it in safe mode and nothing would open or it came up to check internet connection, which i know was not the problem.lol
I then followed the next step back in normal and the problem still persists ....ughhh!!..Hope there is another solution..Thanks in advance .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In order to check Internet in Safe Mode you will need to click on Safe Mode with networking
This should give you Internet capability then in Safe Mode.

newfiefanny

newfiefanny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
I put the comp in safe made with networking and everything worked fine....No pop-up !!!, oh Java is not working in pogo, even though it says it is up to date and working properly ..??? Oh well that could be another topic..lol
I then rebooted in normal mode and followed your instrs. and pop-up returned .Could this type of problem be caused by a Kodak aio printer, I have been having problems with that but was goning to wait to fix this problem first before i contacted Kodak ..it has something to do with ( microsoft netframework 2 ??? ). Thanks in advance.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well that answers a possible resolution. Since everythign works in Safe Mode we may be looking at a Driver problem. Let's try the following and see if we can run the culprit down.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results