Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What CPU will my PC support?

• Please log in to reply

brettxw

brettxw

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I want to upgrade my CPU. Currently its a dual core 1.8ghz and there are some nice sales on tiger direct for quad cores. However, I am not sure what my motherboard will support, nor do I know what motherboard I have. How do I find out what motherboard I have and then find what brand and CPU I can use.

Advertisements

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Ok, I got this info from Sandra, how can I use this info to find out what the motherboard will allow me to upgrade my CPU too?

SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Manufacturer : ACER
Model : Aspire M5640
Family : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Version : R01-A3
Serial Number : PTSAM0X043810025ED2701
ID : 7C921D00-08206237-22080403-00000050
SKU Number : To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Computer Chassis
Manufacturer : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Type : Desktop
Can be locked : No
Version : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Power Cord(s) : 1
Serial Number : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Asset Tag : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Boot-up State : Safe
Power State : Safe
Thermal State : Safe
Security State : External Interface Locked-out

Mainboard
Manufacturer : ACER
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
MPS Version : 1.40
Model : MCP73
Type : Mainboard
Version : NVIDIA MCP73
Serial Number : 000000000
Asset Tag : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Location in Chassis : To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS : 64-0100-000001-00101111-012908-MCP73

Mainboard Properties
Removable : No
Replaceable : Yes
Hot Swap : No

Chipset
Model : Acer MCP73 Host Bridge
OEM Device Name : nVidia MCP73 Host Bridge
Revision : K3
Bus : Intel AGTL+
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz)
Width : 64-bit
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 6.25GB/s

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
To be sure please go to start->run for XP if you have Vista or Win7 start->search and write dxdiag and let me know what does it says at "System Manufacturer", "System Model" and "Processor"!

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

To be sure please go to start->run for XP if you have Vista or Win7 start->search and write dxdiag and let me know what does it says at "System Manufacturer", "System Model" and "Processor"!

Sure, here is what I got.

System Mfg: ACER
System Model: ASPIRE M5640
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs)~1.8GHz

This is what I was looking to upgrade to :

http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2396

Edited by brettxw, 26 November 2009 - 05:10 PM.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
If You are able go with this http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2758 if not Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 is a great choice too!

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

If You are able go with this http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2758 if not Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 is a great choice too!

Why is the 2.66 more expensive then the 3.0? Since you recommended either one, I'm assuming they will be fine with my motherboard.

Also, another question, if you don't mind. It is off topic though. My reason for doing this upgrade is because I am into the sim games (flight sim, train sim, ship sim). I would like to upgrade video card as well. That dxdiag box shows my video as being :

NVIDIA GeFORCE 7100 / nFORCE 630i

What would you recommend to upgrade to (video card). I'd like to keep it under $150.00

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
2.66 GHz is more expensive because it's a quad core meaning it has 4 cores while E7600 has only 2 cores.Q8400 is faster in almost everything overall Q8400 is faster and better choice.

About graphic card as I see this is integrated graphic on your motherboard meaning is bad in games very bad.I'll check right away!

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

2.66 GHz is more expensive because it's a quad core meaning it has 4 cores while E7600 has only 2 cores.Q8400 is faster in almost everything overall Q8400 is faster and better choice.

About graphic card as I see this is integrated graphic on your motherboard meaning is bad in games very bad.I'll check right away!

Ok Q8400 it is then. I will wait to hear back from you about the graphic card before I put the order in for Tiger Direct. I appreciate you doing this.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Here you go http://www.compusa.c...h...&CatId=3585 nice card for the price.Has new dx11, need less power, multi monitor support(eyefinity) overall best for this price!

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Before buying you should check how much Watt's has your power supply? Don't mean to scare you but since you are buying Q8400 and graphic card you would need around 400W brand power supply,

Advertisements

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Before buying you should check how much Watt's has your power supply? Don't mean to scare you but since you are buying Q8400 and graphic card you would need around 400W brand power supply,

I purchased a 500W a while back and put it in. THank you for your help I really appreciate it! I am sure you will be hearing from me when I get the CPU in. I have not done a CPU change in like 10 years haha.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Okay than everything should work nice.Yes let me know how everything goes.Happy to help! :)

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Could you possibly find one equivalent to the one you posted on Tiger Direct? I have to keep the order to them.

Bonzai82

Bonzai82

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Power supply?

brettxw

brettxw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Please excuse my dumbness, I have not done anything with computers for a long time. A good 8 years. I don't get how the 2.66 performs better/faster then the 3.0ghz, looking at it, what is the difference between the Q9400 and the Q8400? They seem to be the same 2.66 but 20.00 more.