Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

cigos

cigos

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello Fellow Geeks,

I recently acquired the DVD-ROM to upgrade Vista on my Toshiba laptop to Windows 7. I started the installation and reached the compatibility and viability stage when I was informed that my machine contained three programs which would interfere and must be uninstalled. I did so and started the installation again. I reached the same stage again and was informed that one of the programs, namely, 'Kaspersky Anti Virus' was still installed. I had removed the only Kaspersky reference from the registry and was unable to go any further since the only command in the dialog box was 'Close'. I took my machine to a trusted firm and he searched for the file. He was unable to locate it and assured me it was not in the Registry. He also informed me that he was doing nothing much with Windows 7 until January, when the Service Pack comes out.

I am stuck. I would like to continue and upgrade. Can anyone help? Has anyone had the same problem?

Any help would be much appreciated. Kind Regards, Cigos

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Ok, first of all, did you originally uninstall Kaspersky with Add/Remove Programs? Or did you do something else to delete it?

Another solution would be trying to install Kaspersky Anti-Virus again and remove it.

Let me know what is going on.

-Sometimes Needs Help

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks Sometimes,
I did, in fact, only use ®click and delete. Should I have uninstalled it some other way?

Regards, Plumbumgos

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
To uninstall a program, never use the Click and Delete method. It never works. Please try installing Kaspersky again and use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall this time
This can be gone to by: Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features.

-Sometimes Needs Help

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Sometimes,
I couldn't use the Uninstall in Control Panel as the Kaspersky reference wasn't in the list, as far as I could see.
By sheer good fortune I was dealing with a problem on another computer and I chanced on the answer!!
I have been with NTL/Virgin for years and have always used PcGuard for virus protection etc. and never knew that their antivirus protection is from Kaspersky! Nowhere is it referred to in the Download site. I therefor uninstalled PcGuard and was able to continue the upgrade successfully.

Alls well that ends well! I thank you for your attention on this occasion and look forward to further contact, which I'm sure I shall need.

Good Wishes, Plumbumgos

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Bad finish!!!! Should read, 'Plumbumgos alias Cigos.' It's my age, you know! Cigos

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Maybe you have read my post wrong. My intention was, Install Kaspersky again. Then use Add/Remove Programs to remove it.

-Sometimes Needs Help