Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE Hard Drive causing Blue Screens

• Please log in to reply

matt.

matt.

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello,

I've just build a new system

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-Ep45T-UD3LR
Intel E7600
Kingston 4GB kit 1333Mhz
600W Casecom PSU

There the new parts i've purchase for this upgrade.

I plugged in the old IDE hard drive and tried to boot, but just after the bios loads, and starts to load the OS, it blue screens without much tech data, it restarts and thats it.

I took the hard drive out and put a SATA hard drive into the computer and it booted fine into the OS.

So i setup the motherboard and all the other parts that were previously in the computer on the desk with anti-static plastic and connected everything and that setup booted fine, no hassle.

the IDE hard drive is running as a Master.

Would this happen because the OEM XP installed is tied the the original Hardware? Would a repair XP install fix the problem?

What do you guys think is causing the blue screens?

Thanks

Edited by matt., 26 November 2009 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Under Windows XP you cannot change the motherboard and expect it to boot. It will need a Windows repair. The fact it's an IDE hard drive is irrelevant, the same situation would occur whether your previous installation (on another board) was done on SATA, RAID, Raptors or solid state. It would still blue-screen.

That being said, you've bought shiny new hardware. Your IDE drive will be the slowest link in the chain. The SATA drive will be much faster. Why do you wish to use the IDE drive at all? It'll just drag the rest of the system down.