Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

explore.exe failed to initialize

• Please log in to reply

tetley

tetley

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, I have a new problem to report with a different computer (this time its my office computer). Just wondering what advice and/or solutions those may like to offer me. Recently upon signing into Windows XP, I am experiencing the message:

Explore.exe
This application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click ok to terminate the application.

It will just hang on this and I can see my desktop picture but no icons or items will load. I then reboot either by choosing ctrl-alt-del and going into the Windows Task Manager or holding down my computer power button and having it shutdown that way. This is a new issue that has begun this week and am wondering if it might have anything to do with the new MS Updates that were recently installed this month (I keep MS up-to-date always). I am running Windows XP Pro, all hardware and software drivers are up-to-date.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hello tetley and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Yes, this problem is caused by Windows Update.

1. Please press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
2. Click on the Applications Tab
3. New Task...
4. Type "appwiz.cpl"
5. Wait for Add/Remove Programs to load.
6. Tick the Show Updates button
7. Look on the right and find any dates that were close to when the computer started crashing.
8. Restart your computer
If it still has this error, repeat and keep deleting processes until you find the correct one

Let me know

-Sometimes Needs Help

tetley

tetley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Excellent, thanks for the help and found 2 newest updates:

Update for winXP (KB973687)
Hotfix for winXP (KB976098-v2)

Both installed November 25 which is right around the time I experienced this. I'll remove one first...give it a go...and then remove the other if I am still having troubles.

Hope this helps and thanks again!

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Let me know what's going on, I'm always glad to help

-Sometimes Needs Help

tetley

tetley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Unfortunately, removing the two latest xp fixes did not solve the issue. But I did find a slight workaround. When I first log in and it doesnt load all the way, I ctrl-alt-del and then log off the identity then log back in and the desktop seems to load.

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
While using your tricky way of logging in, log in. Go to Start>Run>msconfig.

While in there go under the "programs" tab.

At the bottom press disable all. Close the window and press restart now.

Try logging in, see what happens.

tetley

tetley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I hadn't had a chance to come back here to see your final bit of advice so never got around to attempting it. The good news is I believe I have solved the issue and discovered the culprit behind it. It seems that Norton Internet Security 2010 was causing some sort of corruption and/or wasn't loading properly. After using Norton Removal Tool and re-installing, the issue seems to have gone away and I can boot into Windows XP as I used to before. Yay! Thanks again for your time and assistance. It is appreciated.