Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Blue/Green Dots on Monitor

• Please log in to reply

Anadrol

Anadrol

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I cannot seem to figure out why I'm getting these weird blue/green patterns of dots on my monitors. The mouse cursor and the windows seem to change them, meaning, I can cursor over the dots, and they sometimes disappear, sometimes they get worse, and I can drag the windows around and they change the dots too.

I have a dual screen setup and the dots are on both monitors, so I think it's a software issue, not the monitor(s) causing it.

Please advise if you have any idea why this is happening.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 3600 - not sure if that's the cause, but I figured that info would help.

Mods- if this is a software question, feel free to move it.

thanks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is more a hardware driver issue and while drivers are software, the hardware forum is just fine.

Normally with display problems, my first recommendation is to swap monitors with another computer to see if the problem follows the monitor to the 2nd computer, or stays with the computer. But since this is a dual monitor setup, and the problem is with both monitors, I think it likely the problem is on the computer side of the cables.

When did the problem start? Have you made any recent configuration changes?

This would definitely be an issue with the card itself going bad, or it's driver. You can download the latest drivers from here after selecting your operating system. You should be able to find AMD's preferred instructions there too.

Make sure the computer and card are free of heat trapping dust and dirt too.

Anadrol

Anadrol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

It is more a hardware driver issue and while drivers are software, the hardware forum is just fine.

Normally with display problems, my first recommendation is to swap monitors with another computer to see if the problem follows the monitor to the 2nd computer, or stays with the computer. But since this is a dual monitor setup, and the problem is with both monitors, I think it likely the problem is on the computer side of the cables.

When did the problem start? Have you made any recent configuration changes?

This would definitely be an issue with the card itself going bad, or it's driver. You can download the latest drivers from here after selecting your operating system. You should be able to find AMD's preferred instructions there too.

Make sure the computer and card are free of heat trapping dust and dirt too.

This problem started about a month ago, and I do not think I made any configuration changes. At first, I thought it was pixels on the monitor going bad, but then I figured out that I could alter their pattern by moving the cursor over them. I had just installed a program that gives you all kinds of different mouse cursors, so I immediately thought that program was causing the problem. I uninstalled the program immediately, but that didn't solve the problem.

I am currently installing all the latest AMD drivers. I will see if that does the trick and report back.

Anadrol

Anadrol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
11/27/09 9:52 PM - Installed Driver from AMD site, rebooted. No change, problem persists.

I should also note a couple more things-
My "main" monitor is plugged in via HDMI cable. My 2nd monitor is plugged in with a normal monitor cable.

I also have a laptop that is on this same desk, along with the 2 monitors. My laptop has dual screen support also, so I have it plugged into my Main, big Westinghouse monitor as well, but it's plugged into a different input. So, when I want to view the laptop, I just change the input on the monitor. When I'm viewing the laptop, the monitor does NOT have the green specks. This indicates that the problem must be with the computer, and not with the monitor.

So now on to troubleshooting...

Do I need to try a new graphics card altogether?

Anadrol

Anadrol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Bump.
I've still go this problem. Please read thread and offer advice.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Bump.
I've still go this problem. Please read thread and offer advice.

Don't know what more to offer. It looks like the card is failing - if not heat related. The only other thing I could think of is a stress or failing power supply - assuming all connections are secure.