Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alternative to Fire Fox Silver Skin

• Please log in to reply

Kayne Bishop

Kayne Bishop

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Because I truly hate IE I switched to Fire Fox Years ago.

I have been using the silver skin add on almost since day one It is the easiest on my eyes. However, when Fire fox III was launched, Silver skin became incompatible.

I have never found a similar skin or a FF3 compatible version of the skin I like. I am hoping someone knows a similar alternative because while I am happy to stay at FF2, some of my most frequently used sites are now incompatible with my browser of choice.

any suggestions would help

thanx

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sometimes you can returned to where you downloaded the skin you like and contact the skin maker. It takes a little time to get these skins, add-ons and plug-ins tested for new versions and updated if required.

I am using version 2.0.0.20 because many of my useful add-ons have never been updated to FF's latest browser version. I did install FF's Portable version and install all the add-ons I could for it. Never have I ever had a problem with any site links that were saved as a bookmark in ANY browser version and I have used them all.

This doesn't work for you?: Silver Skin 1.3 - For FF3

Does state: "I know right now its VERY buggy but it works and i will be working out the bugs soon i just did this to make a temp fix.....rnrnonce again im VERY VERY sorry this took so long its just i have been very busy.."

"Support for this add-on is provided by the developer at http://ComingSoon.com or by sending an e-mail to [email protected]"

Kayne Bishop

Kayne Bishop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
" Never have I ever had a problem with any site links that were saved as a bookmark in ANY browser version and I have used them all."

I don't know what the deal is exactly, but each time I try t sign in to myspace from Fire fox 2 I get a barrier that says i need to upgrade to FF 3 It does not happen on IE but yeah I hate IE I love Tab Mix Flash Got and down them all but I am not sure they are all compatible with FF3 - but yes i have had major trouble.

I am going to check the silver skin for FF 3 now though , Thanx.. Actually i wish there were a way to test FF3 out without over writing FF@ in case i want to go back.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Installing Firefox 3 or Minefield while keeping Firefox 2: http://forums.mozill...ic.php?t=613873

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

" Never have I ever had a problem with any site links that were saved as a bookmark in ANY browser version and I have used them all."

I don't know what the deal is exactly, but each time I try t sign in to myspace from Fire fox 2 I get a barrier that says i need to upgrade to FF 3 It does not happen on IE but yeah I hate IE I love Tab Mix Flash Got and down them all but I am not sure they are all compatible with FF3 - but yes i have had major trouble.

I am going to check the silver skin for FF 3 now though , Thanx.. Actually i wish there were a way to test FF3 out without over writing FF@ in case i want to go back.

MySpace has just started that notice about upgrading to latest Firefox if you are using an older version. I think it sucks that they are focing FF users to do that. Reminds me of the days when Microsoft used to force-feed screwed up pages/CSS if you weren't using IE. People finally got tired of it and those pages have disappeared for the most part.

You could download and use FF Portable version 3.5.5. It's close enough and runs rather nicely. I have version 2.0.0.20 installed normally and I installed the Portable version in the root directory of my hard drive. You can run it ok from a USB flash drive if you wish. Since it doesn't do any writing to the Registry like the big brothers, you don't have the install conflicts except on Vista I wasn't able to run both versions at the same time. Probably would have it both files were named the same.

I, too, would have like to tried the latest version more, but even trying to install an old version and the new one in different folders entirely, the install program looks for and finds the other and all that Profile and other stuff get overwritten. Haven't tried installing to separate drives, but probably would have a conflict even then.

I have seen the web page Broni pointed out, but just haven't had the time to try it. I'm sure it will work, but I want something a lot quicker than the steps shown.

Good luck with the skin.