Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buzzing noise

• Please log in to reply

helpme768

helpme768

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sometimes my pc makes a strange buzzing noise. It is very quiet, and nothing has happened.. yet.
When I play some games, it will make the sound. It quickly fades in, makes the sound for a few seconds, and then fades out into nothing. Then there is silence for 10-20 seconds and it then makes the noise again.
It sounds like a light bulb when it is about to die out. There are 3 blue lights at the bottom of the case, and 1 of them is broken.

The noise only comes when I play either 'Fallout 3', 'Oblivion' with a shader mod (noise doesn't come when that mod isn't enabled) and 'Crysis'.

I can't really figure out why this noise comes.. any ideas?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Open the side of the case and poke your head in there and listen. See if you can pinpoint the source. Stick an ear to back of the power supply to hear if it is coming from there. If it is the power supply, power down and replace the supply immediately. Deadly voltages are in there so don't mess around with it, just get a new one.

VERY CAREFULLY touch the hub of your fans for a split second. If it is a fan causing this, you will immediatly notice a change in pitch to the noise.

helpme768

helpme768

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Problem solved :) . Silly me, I had accidently put my pc to save as much power as possible through the control panel :) ! That's sure to cause some problems when the graphics card need the power when playing demanding games...

Anyways, thanks for helping. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, it seems odd that would cause it to buzz, but I am glad you sorted it out, and for posting a followup.