Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen after power cut

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
My landlord shut off the power for a brief period to fix something without telling me. When it came back on cannot not get into my computer. When I first turn it on it goes to the Windows XP screen then blue screen. After couple of minutes it goes to start up and Registry Cannot Load etc etc. Then to ASUS Screen where it says delete to enter. The it gives me Safe Mode choices and Start ups. It says if affected by power failure off etc. then to Normal start up. Have tried and tried. Tried also Start up back to a another time (something like that). Have tried going through safe mode but wont let me. Never had this one happen, do new problems never stop lol. Please help.

Advertisements

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Just to add a bit more. This is my sons computer so cant give you hardware info until I can tell him. But cant get into anything, not even through safe mode. It changes screens so fast before it stays on blue. I have a power bar and have never had a computer crash this way before. We have regular power outages here. If I can get the XP disc should I reinput the whole program? I am assuming I will have lost everything. Thanks for listening.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it giving you a quick blue screen? If it is then we can try to get the information from it.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi, thanks for responding. Maybe I have the wrong term? The blue screen has nothing on it at all. It goes through the screens pretty fast, the only other screen that stays up when I click on start up normal if interrupted due to power failure brings up full page of for example;multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys which I have seen others mention on here, dont know what this is called. Then to blank blue screen until I shut it down.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you are describing is the Safe mode boot up.
Have you gone to the advance boot menu options by tapping the F8 key when booting and then highlighting Last Know Good Configuration and clicking Enter? Does it boot up then?

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I am pretty sure tried that but am going to try again. Back as soon as I dismantle my old puter and hook up other one for the 10th time lol.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem. I will be here for another 7 hours or so

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry about taking so long to get back couldnt get my old puter up. No cant get in doing what you said. I did go into Setup but didnt see anything too odd. I can give you more puter info now though. I am on AMD Athlong ™, 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 4200. CPU Speed 2200 MHz, Cache Ram 512K x 2. No matter what I do cant get past the blank blue screen. Going into safe mode or any options there put me right into blue screen. It will wait awhile then go through the same screens over and over. I think I am in big trouble. I doubt it but hoping my son may know where the XP disc is???

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well there is a few things we can try without the XP disk. On these instructions skip to the highlighted text at the bottom and do what it says. Then you will start up at the top with step 3. Let me know if this gets windows running again.

If you have Windows CD...

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
2. Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
You’re going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console:

Posted Image

3. After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number “1").
Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

Posted Image

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair any of the issues I noted in the opening of this guide.
I will introduce them here, and then show the results graphically in the next six steps.
NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
These commands are as follows:

CD..
ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which searches for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
A.) Every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT as OS Load Option when the rebuild process is finalizing.
B.) If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intel’s XD or AMD’s NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option.
For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
Here is your computer screen:

Posted Image

5. Following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, it’s still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, in that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit:

CHKDSK /R

6. This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit “Y”, then Enter to confirm your decision:

FIXBOOT

7. It’s time to reboot your PC by typing
EXIT
and pressing Enter.

With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows XP as if your various DLL, Hive, EXE and NTLDR errors never existed.

2. If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow instructions from Step #3 above.

Thanks To Broni For The Instructions

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry about taking so long to get back couldnt get my old puter up. No cant get in doing what you said. I did go into Setup but didnt see anything too odd. I can give you more puter info now though. I am on AMD Athlong ™, 64 x 2 Dual Core Processor 4200. CPU Speed 2200 MHz, Cache Ram 512K x 2. No matter what I do cant get past the blank blue screen. Going into safe mode or any options there put me right into blue screen. It will wait awhile then go through the same screens over and over. I think I am in big trouble. I doubt it but hoping my son may know where the XP disc is???

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have to go into the bios and set the boot sequence to boot to cdrom to do the steps I sent in my previous post.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Sorry for repeat. I will try what you said but will have to get back to this so dont think I have not responded. This puter cannot burn cd's anymore and of course cant use the newer one so will have to find someone to do this for me. I even have a borrowed laptop to communicate if this one quits. Again thanks will get back here as soon as I can get a cd burned.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem on the wait time. I will continue to watch this topic for your return. I am here till the end regardless of what that is. :) :)

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Hi back again. On borrowed puter trying to download and burn cd. Dumb question when I go the computer paramedic site there is no where on there that gives me Windows Recovery Console?? Where do I go on there, its offering related software but none of those are showing the recovery console. Hoping you are around today. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When I click on the link for the RC it auto downloads the rc.