Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts right off after ten minutes

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Be careful as laptops are not the same as desktops. From your speedfan post I don't see any overheating issue.

Advertisements

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
yes i just dont understand why it runs longer when it sits for awhile.
I have tried swapping out the ram, tried running just on ac, just on battery, is it possible its motherboard? what else can i swap out.
I really do think its hardware issue cuz it shut off on my in bios
its hard to diagnose this thing so frustrating, fan will start motoring then i know i got like 30 seconds before it shuts off! computer runs laggy too

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

yes i just dont understand why it runs longer when it sits for awhile.

This would indicate a heating problem but I'm not seeing it.

It could be a motherboard problem or a hard drive issue. It is so hard to diagnose when system won't run long enough to test it. Is all the vents cleared of any dust and is the system sitting where there is no obstruction of air flow around it?
When you turn it on do you hear the fan turning and does it shut down before the system actually shuts down? This could indicate a defective fan.

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i got it to run auto runs, and i think i got all the correct files unchecked, I did it real fast lol
its sittin on my glass coffee table, nothing else on it but my keyboard for the computer I am using right now to message you lol
fan spins as soon as turned on, everything is real clean too

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Autoruns look good so no work with that. Try doing the following.

This file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

dynocompe

dynocompe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
ok just a quick note, i removed the hard drive completely, and the computer will still shut down. I gotta run right now, be back later

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Power, Heat or motherboard.
It may be time to take it to a shop and have them look it over. That way they have the unit in front of them to look at.