Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen with malicious intent.

• Please log in to reply

Harley Q

Harley Q

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well. I know how it happened I just can't reverse it or get into Windows XP to do anything. And this post will probably result in just getting advice on what to do if nothing can be done.

The day before it had Blue Screened my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program detected a false positive, Logon.exe was infected among other files I nonchalantly just glanced at. Knowing that it was a false positive I had hit close and just bypassed it with intentions on going back to it later after I was done with work to inspect further which was a bad move on my part. Windows rebooted itself after updates were installed and when I had went to boot it up again it loads through to the Windows logo and then I get the blue screen with this:

STOP:0x0000007B, 0xF7908528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

Now I did look at the post with the stop codes and found mine and the solutions which I can't risk on doing when I don't know much of software or the internals of code and etc.

[The Stop 0x7B message indicates that Windows XP has lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process]

Now with that being said, All of my work is on that hard drive and as an artist I need it to be recovered. Now if there are no possible solutions to do it myself with instruction to save the data I do have on there and recover the drive from error would it be worthwhile to go to DTI DATA and pay the $349 charge to recover it?

I greatly appreciate any insight that you awesome Geeks can give me.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Harley Q...

Just so we don't cover ground you may have already covered, what all have you done to troubleshoot this issue?

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode?

Do you have an XP installation disk?

wannabe1

Harley Q

Harley Q

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've tried booting in safe mode, I've also tried booting into last known good configs to no avail. All of which bring me back to the blue screen. And I have Windows XP Home but the box says Upgrade, Don't know if that matters?

Edited by Harley Q, 27 November 2009 - 07:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
While the 0x7B stop error is most often associated with a hardware issue, I've seen file system corruption cause it, too.

If you can find your installation cd, it should contain recovery console which we can use to try and recover the file system.

If you can't find the cd, download RC.iso and burn it to a cd as an ISO image. You may need a burning tool like ISO Recorder to do this...be sure to get the version for the operating system you'll be creating the disk on. This disk must be burned as an ISO Image to work properly.

Boot from the Windows XP installation CD (or RC.iso).

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press R to start Recovery Console. Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press "Enter".

When you are asked for the Administrator password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". (Note the space before /r) The disk check operation will start.

This will be a very thorough check of the hard drive and the file system...be patient and let it complete. It may appear to hang or even back up a few times...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this check...it may take longer in some cases.

Once the check completes and you are back at the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Let your computer attempt to boot normally to Windows.

Harley Q

Harley Q

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank You greatly, I will go and try this right now. I've printed out the instructions and got every file needed. If successful I will let you know :)

Harley Q

Harley Q

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did everything properly and that took care of error 0x7B but now I get a Blue Screen with errors 0x24 / 0x23

Harley Q

Harley Q

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I booted up with Puppy Linux and was able to pull off all of my data all $2k worth. All I have to do is reformat the hard drive so I can start new, Thank you for your effort ^__^