Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need help selecting new notebook

• Please log in to reply

radiorunner

radiorunner

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello there, need to buy a notebook quickly to replace ancient desktop that died. i am lost in the sea of laptops. i think i am leaning towards 4 gb RAM, 320 gb HD, 14 or 15" screen, 14" might be a lighter & easier to tote to cafe to use wifi, wifi wireless capability built in, dual core rather than single core processor. maybe leaning towards asus or lenovo but which model & processor? if features are outside new price range what about rebuilt with features I'm interested in? the recommended asus & lenovo notebooks recommended at laptoplogic.com, pcworld.com, & some others are WELL OVER $700.

one 8/18/09 survey found asus as #1 for computer reliability, with apple #2, & lenovo #3: http://www.rescuecom...SCUECOM269.html .

another 11/17/09 survey cited asus #1, toshiba #2, sony #3, & lenovo #6 in laptop reliability:
http://www.engadget....a-win-hp-fails/

is it better to buy extended 3 yr warranty from manufacturer or from place purchased like staples or office depot?

i stayed away from black friday sales today because i saw alot of crap advertised (celaron & atom processors, etc). is cyber monday gonna be any better to pick up a nice notebook?

My budget for the new computer is: under $700. would prefer to pay under $500 if possible for what i want

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, web browsing, word & excel at home & in cafe

What software do you intend on using on the computer? vista 7, ms office (word, excel, ppt), adobe (read). Not interested in a Mac nor can I afford one.

Do you play games? no. If so, what type of games? NA

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? toggle between open email, & open MS applications like word or excel

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? no, use cde & external HD for pictures. don't store music at all

THNKS!

Edited by radiorunner, 29 November 2009 - 10:50 PM.

Advertisements

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
can anyone help me with my nov. 27th posting?

i found a dell inspiron 15 at dell.com w/ 4 gb ram, 320 gb hd, webcam, intel core 2 duo t6600 processor for $544 total w/ employee discount coupon. how does this compare to an asus or lenovo notebook?

also, would you recommend buying an extended warranty? at dell.com that inspiron 15 would cost $79, 179 or 269 for 1, 2 or 3 yr accidental damage/complete care warranty vs. 1 yr limited warranty included with notebook. thanks!

radiorunner

radiorunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'm leaning towards a Asus or Lenovo 14 or 15" laptop under $700. I read that Asus laptop includes a 2 yr warranty & 1 yr accidental damage with no extra charge. Dell's cost for extended warranty was ALOT of $.

looking at the asus k40ij-d2 for around $579 or $530.55, both after $100 rebate from asus
http://1toppc.com/Me...;Category_Code=
http://www.amazon.co...r...amp;x=0&y=0

let me ask geekstogo community how this laptop would compare with a lenovo or dell with similar specs? ie 14.1" screen, 4 gb ram, 320 gb hd, 802.11 wireless a/b/g/n, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, Win 7 Home Premium, web cam, DVD RW, 2 yr limited warranty & 1 yr accidental damage warranty, w/ some power saving efficiencies?

thanks

Edited by radiorunner, 09 December 2009 - 08:22 PM.