Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to "upgrade" from Vista to XP - stuck on Administrato

• Please log in to reply

Twistie

Twistie

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have had Vista for 9 months now and I hate it, I gave it a fair go, it just drives me insane with all the fancy popups and "improvements". I would just like my plain old simple XP back. Besides, I have it on my other PCs and I can't access my work PC's remote connection with Vista, my work server won't accept it.

I followed the instructions on this link:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2287700,00.asp

Its this part that I get stuck on:

"In some cases, you may be asked for the Administrator password at this point. If you don't know it, you'll have to boot back into Windows Vista, open the Start menu, type lusrmgr.msc, and press Enter. Open the C:\Users folder, double-click on the Administrator account, and turn off the Account is disabled option. Open the Start menu again, type Control userpasswords2 into the Search box, and press Enter. Next, click the Reset Password button, choose a new password, and start over."

PROBLEM 1: When I type in lusrmgr.msc, I get an error message saying I have Vista Home edition and this snapin isn't provided so I don't know who to "turn off the Account is disabled option". Saying that, I do have the Administrator account abled and I use it sometimes.

PROBLEM 2: I have gone into all my accounts, Administrator included and changed the password to my regular password - changed all the accounts to the same password using the Control userpassword2 function AND using the Control panel's Manager User Accounts function. BUT, when I get to the instructions from that link that say "you may be asked for the Administrator password at this point" when I am in the Recovery Console, every time I enter the password in, it tells me the password is invalid and I cannot progress.

Appreciate any assistance. Thanks very much, happy Thanksgiving!!!

Advertisements